Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IT'S OFFICIAL!!!!!!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
AnthonyPaul2010
631 Views, 8 Replies

IT'S OFFICIAL!!!!!!

After surveying all of my Inventor colleagues I can officially declare that the bolted connection feature is a lemon. 

Suffice to say our office has just banned the use of bolted connections and any other content centre or design accelerator content.

Our models are now so much more stable.

Anthony Paul (from Cairns, North Queensland, Australia)

Product Design Suite
Inventor Premium 2012 - SP1 Installed
HP 8760w I7-740M Laptop
Windows 7 Professional 64
12 Gb DDR SDRAM
AMD FirePro M5950 Graphics Card
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
cwhetten
in reply to: AnthonyPaul2010

I personally don't use the bolted connection generator so I can't speak to that, but you are banning use of the content center as well?  You're definitely discarding the baby with the bath water with this decision.  I love the content center, even with all of its quirks, and even though it has difficulty playing well with vault.

I also love the tube & pipe module, which without the content center wouldn't exist.

What brought you to the decision that the content center shouldn't be used at all?

Message 3 of 9

Message 4 of 9
AnthonyPaul2010
in reply to: cwhetten

I recently  purchased a new laptop and when I reinstalled IV2012 and opened up models on a project that had been created with the old laptop all of my content centre parts wouldn't load up because ofcoarse they were stored on the old lap top.

So I thought I'd get clever and make the default location for content center files on the server and that's when all of my troubles began. For whatever reason one day when I'd open up a model with referenced content center files stored at the server location they wouldn't load up. And the other problem I got was a message saying that my project had 2 or more bolted connections named the same such as "bolted connection 1".

Anyway when I asked around I found that other people had gone down the same path.

Product Design Suite
HP 8760w I7-740M Laptop
12 Gb DDR SDRAM
Message 5 of 9

Yes I do does it fix something with bolted connections or content center???

Product Design Suite
HP 8760w I7-740M Laptop
12 Gb DDR SDRAM
Message 6 of 9

Yes, it does which from your initial post is what you had made sound like was the issue.

But from what you've posted recently the issue is a user and configuration issue. The user issues is not using unique file names, even on the design accelerators and not copying over your content center files. The configuration issue is how you've set your file structure up, the content center files should have been either set to save to a shared directory next to your working directory if you were going to work off a server without using vault. 

Something I would suggest you do if you've copied all of your old content center files to the server use the "Refresh Standard Components" command on the manage tab to update the content center files to the newest version. 

Message 7 of 9

How do you mean copy over my content centre files?

The content centre files that are causing me grief are the ones that were created after setting up a space on the server for the content  centre files which is the same server where the project workspaces are also located.

I get the unique name thing...now! But why doesn't Autodesk make the software automatically make file names unique. Doesn't make sense to me.

Product Design Suite
HP 8760w I7-740M Laptop
12 Gb DDR SDRAM
Message 8 of 9

See the attachment for a screen capture of the message I am getting. What am I doing wrong?

Product Design Suite
HP 8760w I7-740M Laptop
12 Gb DDR SDRAM
Message 9 of 9

This is what happens when Inventor finds two files with the same name, and you have unique file names set to "Yes". It found the files and is asking you to verify which one is correct

Read the options for the project file

As far as copying the content files, on your old computer you had a folder that the content center parts were dropped into by Inventor, you could have copied that to the server 

What's the issue with the CC files? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report