Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues exporting iam as step, missing details - Inventor Pro 2015

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
EvoSpyder
3194 Views, 21 Replies

Issues exporting iam as step, missing details - Inventor Pro 2015

I have included screenshot of my issue. When exporting and assembly to a step file, the file does not contain all of the details, and is not assembled correctly. IT also adds _TOP to the filename of the step file.

Assembly as iam.jpg

Assembly as STEP.jpg

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
JDMather
in reply to: EvoSpyder

Can you attach the assembly here?

Have you installed the Updates?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 22
EvoSpyder
in reply to: JDMather

Yes, the updates are installed.

Message 4 of 22
EvoSpyder

Ok, I think I figured out what caused this issue. This assembly and the parts within were created by another engineer here that was still running on 2014. I had to update the engineering and I did so with 2015. Then it didn't want to export to a step correctly.

I was able to get around it by copy/pasting all of the details within the assembly into a new assembly and exporting now works just fine.

Anyone else have issues with exporting to step after updating models to a newer version?

Message 5 of 22
johnsonshiue

Hi! I am not sure I completely understand the issue you are having. Does the assembly fail to export to STEP properly in R2014? If yes, can you post the files here or send them to me (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 22

Hi EvoSpyder,

Thanks for the post !

From your attached images my observation is the geometries are exported to STEP, but seems the transformation is wrong for those parts, so you will see the appearance is different. Just as Johnson said we need the dataset to reproduce and confirm for this problem.

About the filename change behavior (_TOP), it is intentional. If you import a STEP file which is an assembly and also if the root assembly document name is same with sub-assembly document name, our old behaivor is adding "_N" after the original name but the new behavior is adding "_TOP" after the original name because we think it is more make sense to indicate it is the top assembly.

Regards,

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Design, Lifecycle and Simulation Product Group
Direct: +86 21 2039 6025
Email: Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
NO. 130, Lane 91, E Shan Rd
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 7 of 22

I have sent the files to Johnson.

I have never seen the filename change behavior with any other STEP files we have created. Occasionally upon importing files that were created as STEPs from other software I've seen similar types of behavior, but not with our own designs that we exported from Inventor.

Kevin, this happened on 5 seperate assemblies and all have had similar behavior. After exporting the .iam to a STEP file, many details did not show up at all in the step file, and if they did they were not in the correct locations. On one assembly, of the 11 parts in the .iam only 2 carried through to the STEP file.

The only thing that these 5 have in common was that they were created in Inventor 2014, and then updated and saved with Inventor 2015, during which the files were converted to Inventor 2015 files. After that conversion, the files would no longer export correctly. Creating a new .iam with 2015, and copying and then pasting all the details (with constraints) into a new .iam would then allow the files to be exported correctly.

The export attempts were using STEP protocol 214 (also tried 203) from Inventor 2015. The files had been created in Inventor 2014 prior to our upgrade to 2015

Message 8 of 22

Hi EvoSpyder,

Thanks for your comments!

You are correct that not all the STEP files will have this filename change behavior, only for those STEP files which are assembly and its root assembly document name is same with sub-assembly document name scenario.

For the details lost during STEP exporting, seems a defect I will double check based on your dataset.

Regards,

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Autodesk, Inc.
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 9 of 22
ic198

I am having the same problem. I am trying to export an .iam to .stp (or .igs, it does the same thing) and the output file is missing lots of the parts. All of the parts were created in earlier versions of Inventor, some have been updated to this version and some have not but that does not seem to affect which ones are missing. Some parts in sub-assemblies are exported, some are not.

I tried exporting different View Reps and parts that will export in one View Rep will not export in another, and vice versa, so it seems like there is nothing about the part that prevents it being exported- it is Inventor getting confused.

Message 10 of 22
KevinLi-Autodesk
in reply to: ic198

Hi ic198,

Thanks for posting !

May you share me an example of .iam to Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com for investigation ?

Regards,

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Autodesk, Inc.
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 11 of 22
KevinLi-Autodesk

Hi ,

I can reproduce this issue on my side now and 1519250 is logged in our issue tracking system, it is under investigating by development team now.

Regards,

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Autodesk, Inc.
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 12 of 22
rschader
in reply to: KevinLi-Autodesk

Try exporting the inventor assembly to catia and then read it back in. That seems to work.

Message 13 of 22
KevinLi-Autodesk
in reply to: rschader

Thanks for comments, and yes CATIA V5 format works without missing bodies, it maybe a STEP format specific issue.

Regards,

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Autodesk, Inc.
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 14 of 22
ic198

I think it misses details with IGES format as well.

Message 15 of 22
KevinLi-Autodesk

Thanks your comments and you are correct.

I tried other formats, seems only STEP and IGES have problems. CATIA V5, JT, Parasolid, Pro/E and SAT work well.

Regards,

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Autodesk, Inc.
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 16 of 22
rschader

Yes, step and iges seem to be the ones having problems. Although the other formats work, they do not seem to preserve color information as well as exporting to catia does.

Message 17 of 22
dominik.kubicek
in reply to: rschader

Hi,

I also want to share my experience with STEP export issue in the new Inventor 2015. After migrating my simple .iam from 2014 to 2015 version, I am not able to export it as a STEP file correctly. My weldment cosinsts of 2 parts and 2 welds, but these welds are scaled and positioned differently than in the original Inventor file. It is a bit uncomfortable to use export to Catia (ProE, Solidworks etc..) and then export again to STEP. If there is any update for this topic, please share with others.

P.S. Problematic weldment attached.

Thank you. Dominik

Message 18 of 22

Not sure if this is related or not to the original posting...

But I just discovered in Inventor 2014 and 2015..  When you export an assembly to a STEP (and I assume IGES as well) file it will be incomplete if any of its sub-assembly has been saved with a different view representation.   See attachment for additional info.

I tried the same workflow in Inventor 2013 and it works correctly.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 19 of 22

Hi dominik,

For the issue about "My weldment cosinsts of 2 parts and 2 welds, but these welds are scaled and positioned differently than in the original Inventor file.", it should be fixed in Inventor 2015 SP1 Update1, please install Inventor 2015 SP1 via link: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-in...  and Inventor 2015 SP1 Update1 via link: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/downloads/caas/downloads/content/update-1-fo... for double check.

Please let me know if it works or not.

Regards,

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Autodesk, Inc.
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 20 of 22

Hi Mark,

This is a known issue about Design View that we have noticed it, it will be fixed in Inventor 2016 release.

Regards,

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Autodesk, Inc.
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report