Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

issue with iassembly generated part lists

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
dverhaar
252 Views, 4 Replies

issue with iassembly generated part lists

Hello, I am having some issues with the part lists of generated files from iassemblys. I use iassemblys to create different configurations of the same product. So i add and remove components etc. When I later create a 2D assembly drawing of the generated files, there are some issues with the part lists. It seems like there is a connection with the current configuration the iassembly is set to, even if I use a generated file as the source of the part list. To fix this manually, I now have to first select the configuration I am working on in the iassembly to make sure the part list does not unknowingly changes. When the part list does change, it seems like the balloons in the 2D drawing also disconnect from the generated assembly (this is not visible, but when you remove a balloon and add a new one the correct number appears). Are there some settings I can change to fix these issues? Or am I using the iassembly feature incorrectly ?
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mcgyvr
in reply to: dverhaar

Are you using the iassembly factory file to create the drawing views (you should be)?

Do not use the generated member assembly file.

Use the factory iam file (the main iassembly file) and when placing the base view go to the model state tab and pick the iassembly member from the list there.

Then the parts list should include the proper components from the base view.

You can also edit the parts list and hit the member selection button if you need to include/exclude other members from the parts list. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 5
dverhaar
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thanks for your replay, I have tried making the drawing views based on the main iassembly, and this seems to work correctly. I also make an exploded view from the different configurations, based on the generated files. Would I need to create these based on the main iassembly to get an proper part list? Because the different configurations of these products are all similar, I like to re-use the same ipn by copying the file and renaming the iassembly generated source file so I can select an other configuration. Is this still possible when using the main iassembly as the ipn source? If i can not use the generated member files from an iassembly, what is their use in inventor?
Message 4 of 5
mcgyvr
in reply to: dverhaar

IMO you should NEVER use the member files to do anything in Inventor.. Everything should be done using the factory file and then selecting the proper member from that. 

Forget you ever saw where the members are saved and never open them explicitly. Use the factor iam file always. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 5
dverhaar
in reply to: mcgyvr

When I base an ipn exploded view on the main iassembly, I still have issues with the part list when I use the ipn file as an source of the part list. The list generated is still the configuration the main iassembly is set to currently. Is there a way to create this link, or do I need to base the part list source on the main iassembly and manualy select the correct member?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report