Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is this psible with the Frame Generator

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
richard_cirillo
540 Views, 10 Replies

is this psible with the Frame Generator

The part attached is done in solid modelling.Can the shape be made with Frame Generator ( i would prefer this method).I have had a couple of attempts but i am hoping the Frame Generator can reproduce exactly like the solid model.Can the FG create the corners exactly like solid model?

Rich

INV 2013 - INV 2014

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: richard_cirillo

@richard_cirillo wrote:

The part attached is done in solid modelling.

The attached was not modeled correctly - it should have been done as multi-body solids in a single part file if modeled in a single file.  It would have required no more work and quite possible less work to model as multi-body solid.

If the profiles are in the Frame Generator library - they can, of course, be used to model something like this.  If profiles are misssing - they can be added.  (for example, to reproduce your corners)

Components like the plates would be modeled separately.

The frame can be edited just like any other part or assembly.  If the automated tools (like trimming/mitering) do not return a particular desired results then the same type of editing techniques used for non-frame generated parts can be used.

The Frame Generator is simply a set of automated tools, use of these tools does not negate other techniques.

I saw many "mistakes" in the file attached that I would not want to reproduce "exactly".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
richard_cirillo
in reply to: JDMather

Please what are the mistakes you seen.I can therefore not model like this again?

Why would you model this as multi-body solids.What do you use as a method to decide on how to model?

How do i add Profiles?

If time permits please show me how you would model.I am interested.The forum is here to learn from much more experienced users.

Thank you

Rich

Message 4 of 11
JDMather

First, do you know how to create a multi-body solid?

Maybe something as simple as this?

Multibody solid.PNG'

The reason to model this as multi-body solids is because in the real world this cannot be manufactured as one part.

It will be an assembly of many parts.

The multi-body solids technique allows simple modeling almost as though it was one master part - but with separate solid bodies. Then the assembly can automatically be "pushed out" from the master file.

I would learn as much as possible about the basics of multi-body solids "master modeling" techniques and Frame Generator "skeletal modeling" techniques before moving on to adding custom profiles to the library.

In fact, if I needed to add a custom profile I would have to do the same thing you can do - refer to the wikiHelp as reference as this is something I do so infrequently that I have not memorized the process.

Some users here might think I actually know something about Inventor.  Not really.  If pushed to explain how to add a custom profile to the Frame Generator, I would go to the Help, do an experiment, post back here with the solution and collect the Kudos as though I was smart enough to know all of this stuff.  Ha!  Well, now I've revealed my one and only secret.

If you have trouble creating the multi-body solids example similar to the image I attached above - post back with your attempt and I'll reveal the secret to that one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
richard_cirillo

OK .. thanks

Yes i do know how to create a multi-body solid - eg..Extrude command select New Solid button

I have not pushed out though multi solid bodies to an assembly from master file...i will look into that as you are correct...thanks

Do you then see any need to create this part in the F.G if it then can be modelled as Multi-Bodies and pushed out into an assembly?

Are you able to give an example of the part i attached as a Multi-Body Solid.. I want to see how you would create the Back Piece and corners?

quick example attached

Thanks

Message 6 of 11

Message 7 of 11

When these multi solid parts are pushed out into an assembly file i see it also creates each part as individual part files.Would you then open a new assembly file to placed these pushed out individual parts into the assembly file or do you just use the Assembly file created when multi-body parts were pushed out?

Thanks

Message 8 of 11
JDMather

When you use the Manage>Make Components tool Inventor automatically pushes out your individual parts for ducumentation and creates your assembly file for you.  Any changes you make to the master file will update the individual part files.

I use the assembly created by Inventor - no need to create a new one.  But I might place it as a sub-assembly within a larger assembly.  When Inventor pushes out the assembly all components are initially grounded in position - so no need to use assembly constraints.  But if I have some parts that have relative motion I will un-ground those and use appropriate assembly constraints.  This is where a little advanced planning in creating/using sub-assemblies becomes important.

I don't really have time to recreate your assembly starting with a multi-body solid - but I think you are very close to being able to do it correctly yourself.  I recommend you give it a try since this assembly is relatively small and shouldn't take too long to do.  Post back with any difficulties you have.

Once you have done that - then I can demonstrate how I would do it using Frame Generator.

Almost forgot to mention - if you don't need to document the individual parts or have any moving parts - you might not even need to push out the parts/assembly.

EESignature

Message 9 of 11
richard_cirillo

Thanks JD

I re-created the part and pushed out into a assembly file...I have attached

Are you able to show me how you would create in the Frame Generator?

Thanks

Rich

INV-2013 & 2014

Message 10 of 11
richard_cirillo

JD

I would still like to see your demonstation of the part in the Frame Generator as mentioned above.,

Thanks

RC

2013/2013

Message 11 of 11
JDMather

This assembly is so simple that there is really no reason to use the Frame Generator.

I noticed that your Pipe is still interfering with the hole in the plate.
I think I saw one other thing I would check - but now I have forgotten what it was.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report