Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a bug with Content Center or DA BC? (Family display name in BC)

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
zma1013
295 Views, 9 Replies

Is this a bug with Content Center or DA BC? (Family display name in BC)

I copied the "Hex Nut - Inch" family to my custom library, and renamed the family name. I have left it linked to the original library part.

Now, if I go into the assembly environment and go to place a Bolted Connection, when searching through the Hex Nuts I cannot find my custom family name, however I do see the original "Hex Nut - Inch" name there. When I select it, it turns out that it is my custom Hex Nut after looking at my B.O.M. in the assembly as it has my custom descriptions and whatnot. So that's fine and all, but why doesn't it show the custom family name in the Bolted Connection Content Center browser?

You can see how this might cause some confusion for someone else looking for a particular custom part, or if for some reason somebody thought that this was the original part. Look at the attached picture.

Is this intended? Is it a bug?

Should I unlink my custom parts from the originals? The only thing that is different between them are the part numbers, descriptions, and filenames, but I've left all the actual numbers and model data the same.
IV2012

Windows XP SP3 32-bit
Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 @ 2.13 GHz
Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/4000 SDI 256MB Vram
2 GB Ram
160GB HDD
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
pauldoubet
in reply to: zma1013

If memory serves me correctly I think you need to unlink the custom library to be able to rename your custom library. I have renamed numerous custom libraries so it can be done.

Paul
Message 3 of 10
zma1013

Okay, here is a picture of my Custom Content Center. Maybe this will jogs someone's memory of what's going on.

I created "HELMICK - Hex Nut - Inch" by going to the original ANSI "Hex Nut - Inch" family, right clicking on it, then selecting "Copy To" and then I selected my Custom Library.

I've read up a little bit in the help files about "Copy To" and "Save Copy As" but I still do not fully understand their differences. I'm asking somebody who does know, what option do I choose to do what I want? And if I choose "Save Copy As" do I link it to the parent family or make it independent?

I am not going to be editing anything on the standard fasteners other than the part number, file name, and the description. Perhaps somebody could point me in the right direction?

Perhaps this has something to do with my initial problem with seeing my custom hex nut in the Bolted Connection Generator.
IV2012

Windows XP SP3 32-bit
2 GB Ram
160GB HDD
Message 4 of 10
pauldoubet

OK, I should have read your OP more closely. I did not realize the actual problem you are having was with placing a component from your custom library with Bolted Connections. I am not using 2010 at the present time but I don't think anything has changed regarding what you need to do to correct this problem. After you create a custom library you have to add that library to your active project using the ADMS console before it will show up and be available for use. Did you do that? It will show up in the Content Center editor as per your screen shot but it won't show up in your project.

Paul
Message 5 of 10
zma1013

> {quote:title=pauldoubet wrote:}{quote}
> OK, I should have read your OP more closely. I did not realize the actual problem you are having was with placing a component from your custom library with Bolted Connections. I am not using 2010 at the present time but I don't think anything has changed regarding what you need to do to correct this problem. After you create a custom library you have to add that library to your active project using the ADMS console before it will show up and be available for use. Did you do that? It will show up in the Content Center editor as per your screen shot but it won't show up in your project.
>
> Paul

I can use it fine. I can place all of my custom parts into any of my assemblies, by using the "Place From Content Center" button, and the Bolted Connection Generator. My problem is that the Bolted Connection Generator does not see my custom Hex Nut's family name correctly. It is still showing the default "Hex Nut - Inch" family name when it should be showing my custom "HELMICK - Hex Nut - Inch" family name. (Look at the picture I attached in my original post.)

However, that's the only thing that's wrong. If I select the default "Hex Nut - Inch" family through Bolted Connection Generator, it IS my custom "HELMICK - Hex Nut - Inch." (Look at my picture attached to this post)

Why does it not show my custom family name, but when I select it, it IS my custom hex nut?

This may be confusing to others if they go to place a "HELMICK - Hex Nut - Inch" with the Bolted Connection Generator and they can't find it.
IV2012

Windows XP SP3 32-bit
2 GB Ram
160GB HDD
Message 6 of 10
pauldoubet

I have not seen this problem previously. I will take a look at this in 2009 just to see if my custom CC files show up as expected.

Are you on subscription? If so you can log this type of problem directly with Autodesk through your subscription center account.

Paul
Message 7 of 10
zma1013

> {quote:title=pauldoubet wrote:}{quote}
> I have not seen this problem previously. I will take a look at this in 2009 just to see if my custom CC files show up as expected.
>
> Are you on subscription? If so you can log this type of problem directly with Autodesk through your subscription center account.
>
> Paul

This happens only with custom CC parts that are copied from the default CC parts using the "Copy To" option. This is why I was asking about the difference between "Copy To" and "Save Copy As" options. I don't really understand what's the difference, or which one to use.

Also, I will have to ask our reseller if we have a subscription, I'm not sure. We pay them a yearly license fee and they come and install the new version of Inventor every year. Edited by: zma1013 on Oct 13, 2009 11:33 PM
IV2012

Windows XP SP3 32-bit
2 GB Ram
160GB HDD
Message 8 of 10
pauldoubet

I did a little experiment on my custom library in IV 2009 and I read the help file again. Here is what I think is happening in your case.

1. When you use 'Copy To' you are actually making a copy of the family data that you can edit. This copy then replaces the original data so that you would have only one copy available in your read/write library. If you delete this read/write copy it is automatically replaced by the original copy, but both copies do not show up in your library at the same time. So that is why you are seeing the original family name but it actually contains the data you modified. If you delete this family then it should be replaced with the original data that was unmodified. This gives you the ability to do modifications to the part number, etc. but not have multiple copies in your custom library that clutter up the choice of which one to use. So you could use 'Copy To' and load only your custom library and know that all users would be using the correct families and not be loading all the extras that you don't want them to use. You load/unload libraries with the ADMS console.

2. When you use 'Save Copy As' you are creating a new copy of the family data that can be either independant or linked to the original data that you can edit. This copy will exist in addition to the original if you have used the 'Copy To' option to create a read/write copy in your custom library. This copy will also show up in your Bolted Connection choices with the custom name you chose to save it as.

So either choice is valid and you may chose the one that suits your needs. Lots of options if you study what is possible. I hope I clarified this finally and did not confuse the issue as I probably did earlier.

Good Luck, Paul
Message 9 of 10
zma1013

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I may just use the "Save Copy As" option and delete my original custom parts that I made when I used the "Copy To" command. I'll just have to take a day and replace any components in my assemblies with the new copies. Shouldn't take more than a day to do as I don't have too many assemblies, luckily. Just trying to prepare the content center for the future and make it less confusing for someone if I'm not here.
IV2012

Windows XP SP3 32-bit
2 GB Ram
160GB HDD
Message 10 of 10
pauldoubet

I just wanted to share with you that if your bolted connections components already contain the correct custom iproperties that you need I would not replace them at this point. They should already exist in a library folder that will allow them to load correctly. You would just need to "replace them from CC" if that is ever required instead of using the 'Change Size..' option or in the case of Bolted Connections delete "DA component" and the rerun the BC generator.

Good Luck, Paul

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report