Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there such thing as an assembly .idw template

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
jyager
290 Views, 3 Replies

Is there such thing as an assembly .idw template

I have two dampers, essentially the same thing, except one is right hand and one is left hand, outside of the physical difference the actuator is a different model number.

I already have both assemblies modeled, but they need to be separate drawings. I have the "left hand" .idw created and fully detailed out. Two sheets showing all relevant details.

Is there a way to create the next models drawing, the "right hand damper" without having to recreate all of the details and sections and hidden line supressions and locations and part bubbles etc etc I went through to get the "left hand damper" just right?

Ideally both drawings should look the same, just opposite hand...I'm fine with tweaking some things...just hoping I dont have to reinvent the wheel again tomorrow morning.

Thanks in advance!

Jason Yager
Inventor Professional 2023.2
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900X CPU @ 3.70GHz
32GB RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 3200 Series
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Pro
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
IgorMir
in reply to: jyager

I would use iAssembly to model the assembly itself - not two separate assemblies. But even then to document an assembly "As Opp. Hand" would require some heavy editing.

Best Regards,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 3 of 4
CAG_DRAFT

If you can handle looking at each handed version in the one paper orientation then "Replace Model Reference" can help here...

firstly un-attach any leaders that are related to parts that are not shared between assemblies, also take note of which dims are going to end up broken.

then under the "Manage' tab hit 'replace model reference'.

The iAssembly method is likely the best option here but for the odd variation on an existing drawing the above method works ok.

Message 4 of 4
timdown73

I've run into this problem as well and I use the "Replace model reference" command, then just fix the dims and leaders.  It would be nice if Inventor did this automatically but that's one more step closer to the Industry not needing human designers / draftsman to make these changes.  Careful what you wish for. Smiley Happy

-Tim U.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10875H CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz>Memory: 32.0 GB Ram
Op Sys: Windows 10 professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report