Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any benefit to using .idw files over inventor .dwg files?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Infallable
306 Views, 2 Replies

Is there any benefit to using .idw files over inventor .dwg files?

In the past, I have always saved files as .idw without really giving it much thought, but is there any benefit doign this rather than saving as inventor .dwg files which are much smaller in size?

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
markc-uk
in reply to: Infallable

I've asked this question before; my thread was called "Inventor 2D drawings - .idw or .dwg. It got quite a lot of response so you might want to take a look. I'd be interested in people's thoughts again though. I hear lots of rumour and conjecture (mainly from our VAR 😉 that .idws will be phased out and .dwg will take over the world. They won't say when though............

Message 3 of 3
mcgyvr
in reply to: markc-uk

An IDW will be smaller in file size than an Inventor DWG file.

An Inventor DWG file will allow you to work between Inventor and Autocad easier.

If you do not need to routinely work or transfer drawings to Autocad just use IDW as the file size is smaller.

Thats basically it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report