Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to redefine the XY plane to the XZ plane in a part drawing?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
1861 Views, 12 Replies

Is there a way to redefine the XY plane to the XZ plane in a part drawing?

I have a modeled a part and the isometric view shows the part flat when I think it should be viewed upright. It also throws it of the orientation when creating an .idw as the front view is actually the bottom. Also, is the a way to move a work axis to an origin axis in a part drawing. I know this can be done in an assembly. A lot of our parts are drawn by new users of inventor on the origin planes were ignored and workplanes created instead. I am using Inventor 9 with latest update. Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Bill: Welcome to the frustrated (since R2, in my case) club of believers that Z is up. Within the part and assembly environments, you can redefine the isometric viewpoint to get it right. Do this in the template files. In the drawing environment, for the time being, simply learn that 'Front' view is actually misspelled 'Bottom' view then project other views from there. The good news is that Adesk are now looking into the option of letting us redefine views in the drawing environment. I doubt it will happen for release 10 but after that, let's keep our fingers crossed. Richard Bill Anderson wrote: > I have a modeled a part and the isometric view shows the part flat when I > think it should be viewed upright. It also throws it of the orientation when > creating an .idw as the front view is actually the bottom. > > Also, is the a way to move a work axis to an origin axis in a part drawing. > I know this can be done in an assembly. A lot of our parts are drawn by new > users of inventor on the origin planes were ignored and workplanes created > instead. > > I am using Inventor 9 with latest update. > > Thanks. > >
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous

You could try right clicking on the first sketch and selecting redefine. Then Pick the XZ plane (or which ever you want. ) There is a chance all the rest of the features will follow, depending on how things were built. Just be prepared to close without saving or undoing to get things back to normal. -- Kent Keller http://www.KWiKMcad.com Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator "Bill Anderson" wrote in message news:41648208_1@newsprd01... >I have a modeled a part and the isometric view shows the part flat when >I > think it should be viewed upright. It also throws it of the > orientation when > creating an .idw as the front view is actually the bottom. > > Also, is the a way to move a work axis to an origin axis in a part > drawing. > I know this can be done in an assembly. A lot of our parts are drawn > by new > users of inventor on the origin planes were ignored and workplanes > created > instead. > > I am using Inventor 9 with latest update. > > Thanks. > >
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

Bill, The view orientations (front, top, right, etc.) used in IDW are already fixed in IPT and/or IAM. Based on my own experiment, I found the following mapping: XY (+Z) = front XY (-Z) = back XZ (+Y) = top XZ (-Y) = bottom YZ (+X) = right YZ (-X) = left where XY (+Z) means that you look at the XY Plane from +Z. Attached is a screenshot comparing default isometric views of English and Metric templates. As you can see, the default of English template is more natural than that of Metric. You can redefine the isometric view in IPT/IAM, but that doesn't affect the above mapping. I believe the view orientations (front, top, right, etc) of 3D DWF follows the above mapping as well. Currently, the user cannot redefine the above mapping. However, as Andrew Faix (Autodesk) mentioned in a previous thread, http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4079515 he has been recently tasked with looking into this issue. Glenn Inventor Development
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

Glenn, I have never understood why the English and metric template files are different as per your example. Was there a reason for this? Brian
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

1st and 3rd angle projection. Most Europeans use 1st angle, US and UK use 3rd angle. John Bilton
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

Glen, Thanks for this posting. It's cleared up a lot of confusion. cheerz Duncan -- "Humour ... is one man shouting gibberish in the face of authority, and proving by fabricated insanity that nothing could be as mad as what passes for ordinary living." (Terence 'Spike' Milligan K.B.E., 1918-2002) "Glenn Chun (Autodesk)" wrote in message news:416496d3_1@newsprd01... > Bill, > > The view orientations (front, top, right, etc.) used in IDW are already > fixed in IPT and/or IAM. > > Based on my own experiment, I found the following mapping: > > XY (+Z) = front > XY (-Z) = back > > XZ (+Y) = top > XZ (-Y) = bottom > > YZ (+X) = right > YZ (-X) = left > > where XY (+Z) means that you look at the XY Plane from +Z. > > Attached is a screenshot comparing default isometric views of > English and Metric templates. As you can see, the default of > English template is more natural than that of Metric. > > You can redefine the isometric view in IPT/IAM, but that doesn't > affect the above mapping. > > I believe the view orientations (front, top, right, etc) of 3D DWF > follows the above mapping as well. > > Currently, the user cannot redefine the above mapping. > > However, as Andrew Faix (Autodesk) mentioned in a previous thread, > http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4079515 > he has been recently tasked with looking into this issue. > > Glenn > Inventor Development > > >
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

Glenn: With all due respect, I have to most emphatically disagree with your statement "As you can see, the default of English template is more natural than that of Metric." Although the assignment of X, Y and Z are arbitrary mathematical conventions, we've all been brought up (trained, indoctrinated) with the use of X as being the principle axis, followed by Y, then Z. If you are describing linear motion, say the position of a dragster on a drag strip, one would tend to use X. If you are laying out equipment on a factory floor, you tend to use X and Y, the X-Y plane being the floor. On that factory, when you stack crates on each other, that becomes Z. If you were arguing that X should be toward the bottom left, Y to the bottom right and Z up is more natural (presumably because no axis points away from you), I'd agree. Given a choice of the orientation I've just described and the 2 you illustrated, I'd say Y up is the LEAST natural of the three and the other two are a toss up. Regardless, I'm looking forward to IV giving me the flexibility to follow my own perverted logic. Richard Glenn Chun (Autodesk) wrote: > Bill, > > The view orientations (front, top, right, etc.) used in IDW are already > fixed in IPT and/or IAM. > > Based on my own experiment, I found the following mapping: > > XY (+Z) = front > XY (-Z) = back > > XZ (+Y) = top > XZ (-Y) = bottom > > YZ (+X) = right > YZ (-X) = left > > where XY (+Z) means that you look at the XY Plane from +Z. > > Attached is a screenshot comparing default isometric views of > English and Metric templates. As you can see, the default of > English template is more natural than that of Metric. > > You can redefine the isometric view in IPT/IAM, but that doesn't > affect the above mapping. > > I believe the view orientations (front, top, right, etc) of 3D DWF > follows the above mapping as well. > > Currently, the user cannot redefine the above mapping. > > However, as Andrew Faix (Autodesk) mentioned in a previous thread, > http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4079515 > he has been recently tasked with looking into this issue. > > Glenn > Inventor Development > > >
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

Richard, I agree with you. Please let me take back the "natural" comment. In the Metric template, the rationale behind its default isometric view is "Z-up". As you mentioned, a good example is a paper (XY plane) on the floor or drawing board. Stack papers up (Z direction). My CAGD professor from Germany used to draw the Z axis "up" on the blackboard. All illustrations in my high-school-math textbook from South Korea show the Z axis "up". In the English template, the rationale behind its default isometric view is "Y-up". A good example would be a computer screen (XY plane) with Z being "depth". My computer graphics professor from U.S.A. used to draw the Z axis "into" or "out of" the blackboard. Yes, both views are valid. Glenn
Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

Thanks for the clarification. It would be nice if a later release of Inv would include the ability to redefine views within a part. Since you can redefine the isometric view, it is workable and that pretty much fixes my problem. It would be nice if there was an "orientation" option with a submenu and all the orientation views available within the drawing view dialog in a drawing along with the "redefine isometric" option when using RMB in the cube. Thanks. "Glenn Chun (Autodesk)" wrote in message news:41654bfc_3@newsprd01... > Richard, > > I agree with you. Please let me take back the "natural" comment. > > In the Metric template, the rationale behind its default isometric view is > "Z-up". As you mentioned, a good example is a paper (XY plane) on the floor > or drawing board. Stack papers up (Z direction). My CAGD professor from > Germany used to draw the Z axis "up" on the blackboard. All illustrations > in my high-school-math textbook from South Korea show the Z axis "up". > > In the English template, the rationale behind its default isometric view is > "Y-up". A good example would be a computer screen (XY plane) with Z being > "depth". My computer graphics professor from U.S.A. used to draw the Z axis > "into" or "out of" the blackboard. > > Yes, both views are valid. > > Glenn > >
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

As I've stated in another post (can't insist too much): The ability to redefine views is the smaller step; we should have the ability to redefine and create new views and be able to call them from 3D modes (IAM, IPT and IPN) at any time. The zoom as well as the orientation should be saved. That said, this is the lesser of my worries/wishes. Personally, I have redefined my initial sketch so that IAM and IPT isometrics match somewhat more and I couldn't care less if my FRONT view is really the LEFT. -- Rui "Bill Anderson" wrote in message news:4165cfc7$1_2@newsprd01... > Thanks for the clarification. It would be nice if a later release of Inv > would include the ability to redefine views within a part. Since you can > redefine the isometric view, it is workable and that pretty much fixes my > problem. It would be nice if there was an "orientation" option with a > submenu and all the orientation views available within the drawing view > dialog in a drawing along with the "redefine isometric" option when using > RMB in the cube. > > Thanks. > > "Glenn Chun (Autodesk)" wrote in > message news:41654bfc_3@newsprd01... > > Richard, > > > > I agree with you. Please let me take back the "natural" comment. > > > > In the Metric template, the rationale behind its default isometric view is > > "Z-up". As you mentioned, a good example is a paper (XY plane) on the > floor > > or drawing board. Stack papers up (Z direction). My CAGD professor from > > Germany used to draw the Z axis "up" on the blackboard. All illustrations > > in my high-school-math textbook from South Korea show the Z axis "up". > > > > In the English template, the rationale behind its default isometric view > is > > "Y-up". A good example would be a computer screen (XY plane) with Z being > > "depth". My computer graphics professor from U.S.A. used to draw the Z > axis > > "into" or "out of" the blackboard. > > > > Yes, both views are valid. > > > > Glenn > > > > > >
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

Try this. It is a bit dated but should do what you ask. http://www.cbliss.com/inventor/iCode/ivm.zip Neil "Rui Vaz" wrote in message news:4166398d_3@newsprd01... > As I've stated in another post (can't insist too much): > > The ability to redefine views is the smaller step; we should have the > ability to redefine and create new views and be able to call them from 3D > modes (IAM, IPT and IPN) at any time. The zoom as well as the orientation > should be saved. > > That said, this is the lesser of my worries/wishes. >
Message 13 of 13
Anonymous

Perfect. Can I make this start automatically with IV? Usually I copy into my default.ivb, but I can't in this case. Now all AutoDesk needs is to make these views show in the IDW view creation dialog (and while they are at it, allow for a view to be reoriented once placed, please). -- Rui "Neil Munro" wrote in message news:41663ca7_3@newsprd01... > Try this. It is a bit dated but should do what you ask. > > http://www.cbliss.com/inventor/iCode/ivm.zip > > Neil > > "Rui Vaz" wrote in message news:4166398d_3@newsprd01... > > As I've stated in another post (can't insist too much): > > > > The ability to redefine views is the smaller step; we should have the > > ability to redefine and create new views and be able to call them from 3D > > modes (IAM, IPT and IPN) at any time. The zoom as well as the orientation > > should be saved. > > > > That said, this is the lesser of my worries/wishes. > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report