Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to add manually adjustabel columns in a BOM

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
jpblower
673 Views, 12 Replies

Is there a way to add manually adjustabel columns in a BOM

I'm doing a revision rearrangement and would like to add to the BOM New, Existing, and Relocated properties.  The problem is that each individual component may be unique.  Ie.  I have a desk w/ 3 identical monitors.  One monitor is existing and the others are new.  I'd like to have the BOM show that I have 3 monitors, 2 are new and 1 is existing.  The BOM would have 4 columns, one for the total number of parts and 3 for the New, Existing, and Relocated counts. 

I don't mind if the new columns need to be manually updated. 

Tags (3)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
SBix26
in reply to: jpblower

If those columns are actual iProperties (custom or repurposed) in the component files, then yes, you can do this.  Note: I can't tell from your description whether you are using BOM in the strict Inventor sense (assembly BOM Manager), or whether you're referring to a Parts List?

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 3 of 13
jpblower
in reply to: SBix26

I can't say for sure what's the difference between a BOM and parts list.  I'm new to the whole thing.  What we have is an excel sheet w/ a number associated to each component.  Let's say speaker1 was number 35.  I'd show a spreadsheet labeling speaker1 as number 35 and a few other properties.   In the drawing every instance would have a balloon w/ 35 attached.  We do this in ACAD currently and when the number changes to 36 or 34 I then have to update that number everywhere it's seen in the drawing.  This introduces error as there'll always be one missed when you do a thousand changes. 

I'm hoping to have IV update the list and have the balloons update automatically in accordance w/ the table. 

The problem is that our current table needs to give a breakdown of the parts.  It's not enough to show there's 20 speaker1's.  I need the 20 speaker1's and also a breakdown of 9 new, 10 relocated, and 1 existing.  I don't mind being able to add these numbers manually to the parts list or BOM table but I don't know how.  I've played w/ iproperties but never got it to work right.

Message 4 of 13
jpblower

When I've tried to set up the iproperties I keep having every part in the hierachy update to that property.  So if I have 9 new and 10 relocated speakers I have to assign them all either new or relocated.

Message 5 of 13
SBix26

I think you need separate iProperties for Qty New and Qty Relocated in the speaker1 file.  Then add these columns to your Parts List.  You will change them manually in the component's iProperties, but that isn't too difficult.

Inventor uses the term Bill of Material (BOM) to refer to the assembly file's list of components with their properties and attributes.  You work with this through the BOM Manager in an assembly.  Parts Lists are what you place on a drawing to display the components of an assembly in the form you want, and they are closely linked to the assembly's BOM.

The problem with the terminology is that almost everyone knows the parts list on a drawing as a Bill of Material, so it gets confusing.

Sam B

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 13
jpblower

Do you mean change the individual part's iproperties?  If I did that I'd wind up w/ different numbers for each drawing that used that part, unless I don't understand what you mean.  If I have drawings for building room one and room two wouldn't they each show the same value I've given to the part regardless of how many are in each particular room?  Can I manually override this in the parts list?  So far I haven't found a way.

Message 7 of 13
jpblower

And thanks for the explanation, I'm only worried about the parts list for now.

Message 8 of 13
SBix26

Ah, I didn't understand that the parts would be used in different assemblies.  So, add two new columns to the Parts List (pick any unused iProperties from the Column Chooser) and manually edit those entries in the Parts List.  Does that get the job done?

Sam B

Message 9 of 13
jpblower

I'm able to do this by selecting the parts list> Edit properties>Column Chooser>Select avaliable properties from:>User Properties>Create new

Then I can manually update each field. 

Was this what you meant?

Message 10 of 13
SBix26

Yes.  Although you don't need to create new User Properties; just pick any that are blank.  You can make the column heading whatever you want it to be.

Sam B

Message 11 of 13
swhite

BOM.PNG

While in the BOM click the "Add Custom iproperties columbns" button, the one with the red plus. Select the <click to add iproperty column>, type in the name of the column and press enter. This column should now be available for editing.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 12 of 13
karthur1

I dont see how you can accomplish if you are using just one part ... (Speaker1.ipt) in your assembly.    If you want the parts list on your drawing to show a quantity for new speakers, a quantity for relocated speakers and a quantity for existing speakers... then you will need three seperate ipts.

Create an ipt for each one and place them in your assembly.  They can all have the same part number, just a different filename when you save the parts.  You can even color them different so you can quickly see what you are working with.  Now when you do your idw and create a parts list, you will have 3 seperate rows for the different items.

Message 13 of 13
swhite
in reply to: karthur1

I believe he just wants columns to say how many total, how many new, and how many relocated. Am sure he can note which is which on the drawing. Also custom symbols may work as well. See message 6 http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/numbers-are-added-to-symbol-when-using-symbol-in-lie...

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report