Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a method to change the owning project file

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
divingdoug
961 Views, 23 Replies

Is there a method to change the owning project file

If I have a part or assy file open, can I change what project [file] that the part or assembly belongs to?

23 REPLIES 23
Message 21 of 24
SBix26
in reply to: divingdoug

@divingdoug wrote:

Back on topic,  Still want to verify how I can make sure that every time I open IV, it is using my all encompassing project file.  Can this be set in my default templates?  or does it work like, once you select a project file, it stays with it for the long term until you intentionally select a different one?

As I mentioned previously, files have no knowledge of projects, so a template won't help there, unless you embed some iLogic in it.  But yes, Inventor opens with the project in use when it was last properly closed (no guarantees in a crash), so your all-in-one project file should always be there when you start Inventor.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 22 of 24
LT.Rusty

@divingdoug wrote:

Rusty I find it interesting that, based on the quantity of files you have mentioned, that you are working from your C drive.

Most computer savvy folk will say to always keep your data physically segregated from your OS. That way, if your system crashes, you can get to your data immediately with out having to worry about fixing a crashed computer. Simply go to another system with the application and access the data files as needed.

Whether it is a second drive in the computer or a network attached drive, it isolates your data from your OS.

It also makes backups easier.  I back up my data drive (home) quite often.  I back up my OS drive only occasionally like when I install a major application.  And then I use Ghost so it creates an image vs. just backing up the files. That way, you can create a replacement drive in a matter of a couple hours as opposed to having to start from scratch and reinstall the OS and all the apps an then restore data. (I'm sure there are other programs that does what Ghost does, that is just my particular choice)

Didn't mean to run all off topic, specially since I started this thread but that just kinda stuck out there for me.

Back on topic,  Still want to verify how I can make sure that every time I open IV, it is using my all encompassing project file.  Can this be set in my default templates?  or does it work like, once you select a project file, it stays with it for the long term until you intentionally select a different one?

I keep 3 copies of all my working data, 2 of my archives.  Working data exists on C:\, my external hard drive, and a network location.  The archives are on the external and backed up to a network location as well.

As for persistence of project ... yes, unless you manually change the project, it'll always remain set to whichever one you've chosen.  Only exception to this is if you change projects and then crash - then it'll go back to the project file that was set the last time that you (intentionally) closed Inventor.  You don't have to do anything with your templates.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 23 of 24
divingdoug
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Acknowledged to All

thanks

Message 24 of 24
coreyparks

Google Being Inventive: Set and lock Inventor Project, this website has 3 different methods for setting and locking the project file you want to use.

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report