Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a hotkey to temporarily turn off auto-constraints in sketch mode?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
zma1013
1370 Views, 6 Replies

Is there a hotkey to temporarily turn off auto-constraints in sketch mode?

Thread title.

IV 2009
IV2012

Windows XP SP3 32-bit
Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 @ 2.13 GHz
Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/4000 SDI 256MB Vram
2 GB Ram
160GB HDD
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: zma1013

No but you can assign one.. Right click on any toolbar and choose customize.. Go to the keyboard tab and find the appropriate command and enter a hotkey for it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 7
iDS!

...hold the Ctrl key down while sketching 🙂
Message 4 of 7
mcgyvr

I never did understand what holding down the Ctrl key really does.. I know it disables the preview of a inferred directional constraints. But if I don't hold Ctrl down it doesn't create those constraints anyways..

(example.. sketch a rectangle, then draw a vertical line horizontal to one corner of the rectangle but 1 inch away. Without holding down Ctrl it shows a dotted line inferring its horizontal from that edge but if I look at the constraints it doesn't create the horizontal constraint it inferred anyways.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 7
iDS!

I feel your pain about this workflow tease...seems half a$$

as far as holding Ctrl...it only allows for coincident constraints and alleviates the frustration of IV thinking it knows what you want...in some cases holding the Ctrl button down slaps IV on its hand and allows us to CONTROL our intentions...

...the Ctrl key has quite a few hidden abilities in IV 😉
Message 6 of 7
mflayler2

What you are noticing in that example is a vertical constraint with point alignment to help you get roughly were you need to be. If you want more constraints turned off permantently you can use the Inferred and Persistant options in 2009 and 2010 to remove certain constraints from every being created.

Another neat CTRL tip is in 2010 holding CTRL while Panning will Rotate the Model.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 7 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! Actually, there are two buttons controlling the "auto constraint" behavior in 2D Sketch. They are Constraint Inference (CI) and Constraint Persistence (CP) next to sketch properties toolbar. CI controls whether or not a sketch entity would get auto-constrained (infer constraint) based on the "Constraint Placement option" (Application Options->Sketch) and "Constraint Options" (right-click->Constraint Options). CP determines whether the inferred contraint gets created.
I guess the behavior you like to see is CI pressed while CP depressed. In that way, you will be able to get some "auto-constraint" behaviors without having the constraints created. Or, you can simply depress both and none of the constraints will be created. It behaves a lot like AutoCAD in that mode.
Actually, you can fine-tune what constraints get inferred by using Constraint Options and to what scope.
Thanks!

johnson.shiue@autodesk.com

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report