Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it possible to put or have text callouts on a 3d model

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
andrew.nao
893 Views, 7 Replies

is it possible to put or have text callouts on a 3d model

if i were to draw a P & ID in 3d, is it possible to have text in the model to call out valve and line sizes and things like that? if so how would i go about doing that?
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: andrew.nao

This is available with Inventor Publisher.

Message 3 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi! As of Inventor 2015, there are three ways to create notes directly on a model. In an assembly and a part, you can simply select a piece of geometry -> right click -> create Engineering Note. You can also create Welding symbols on a weldment assembly. There are API calls available to create some 3D annotations in part and assembly.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 8
andrew.nao
in reply to: johnsonshiue

thanks for the reply. what im looking for is the text to appear on the model drawing. not just notes behind the scenes.
Message 5 of 8
mcgyvr

sadly no..

Some of us have been requesting whats commonly referred to as 3D PMI (or MBD model based definition) from Inventor for years now. Standardized in ASME Y14.41 and a few others.

They had a tool on the labs site a few years back called 3DA or 3d annotation that did it but I think its been retired now.

There should be a request in the Inventor ideastation.. but I can't find it now.. searching through that is sub par IMO..

found it.. http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/3d-gd-amp-t-annotations/idi-p/4377399 (show your support please by giving it a kudo)

Its available in most other CAD packages now but sadly Inventor is behind the times on that one.. 

Solidworks got it this year I think so I'd expect (hope) Inventor to follow soon.. 

http://www.solidworks.com/launch/documents/sw2015_launch_mbd_eng.pdf

Its how all future cad will be.. I just don't see the point of 2d drawings anymore. 

All our vendors mostly use my 3d models and the 2d drawings are just for tolerances/notes which would easily be accompished in a 3d PMI/MBD

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 8
dgorsman
in reply to: mcgyvr

"All future CAD..."  You really should consider that your experiences are not the extent of possibility.

P&IDs, PFDs, MFDs, single-line diagrams, PLC ladder logic diagrams, grounding schematics, yadda yadda yadda.  Not everything can be well represented in 3D, and not all 3D is well represented on hardcopy.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: dgorsman

@dgorsman wrote:

"All future CAD..."  You really should consider that your experiences are not the extent of possibility.

P&IDs, PFDs, MFDs, single-line diagrams, PLC ladder logic diagrams, grounding schematics, yadda yadda yadda.  Not everything can be well represented in 3D, and not all 3D is well represented on hardcopy.

Well yes.. I intended that to be "Inventor" related CAD..

Not schematic capture/diagramming type programs,etc... I don't consider that "CAD"..

Any fabricated/molded,etc.. part can easily/completely be documented in a single 3d file with 3D PMI

Even 2d drawings for assembly purposes,etc... 

and I should have said the "next main step/direction" in cad. The next major change/focus

2D CAD drawings are simply an old dinosaur to me on the edge of extinction. A single 3d annotated file is all that should be required/shared.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 8
salariua

I am adding component tags with ilogic.

This is how I add tags to my equipment.

http://blog.ads-sol.com/2014/10/part-tagging.html

http://blog.ads-sol.com/2014/08/component-tags-in-inventor.html

While you're there check the video as well, you might get a better idea on how that works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=r0NuTAwpYFk

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report