Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to make a twisted surface a straight diagonal surface instead?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
AmarD90
331 Views, 6 Replies

Is it possible to make a twisted surface a straight diagonal surface instead?

In this attachement you'll see a part I've been working on. It has a twisted middle that connects the two faces but I want to replace it with a diagonal bit. I've worked on it a bit but I am not successful in recreating the desired result. I need to eventually fold it out. I was thinking about somehow replace that twisted part, simply thicken it and then fold it out. Is that possible?

That flange on the side is not correct and please ignore that bit. I removed it in this part. The used JD Mather tried helping me out with this part and I apologize for not pointing out that that specific bit is not important. 

Thank you for your time. 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
WHolzwarth
in reply to: AmarD90

Well, basic modeling of this part could have been better. There are several angular and fillet size errors.

Too late I noticed that it was modeled in 2014. 2015 file and STEP are attached

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
AmarD90
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Oh wow. Look at that. You managed to do it. Thank you! 

Yes basic modelling would have been better. But I get a lot of these files and sometimes I can't redraw them. So I figured I would learn how to do on a basic, simple model while I have the chance. 

I have a mirrored one, a right hand, that I have to do. May I bother you and ask how you did it?

Message 4 of 7
WHolzwarth

Well, there's been some trial and error. Description would be too time-intensive. The feature tree shows my struggling. Smiley Wink

87775 Browser.jpg

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
AmarD90

Ouch, that seems to be quite the struggle. Was it that difficult to fold out? 

That's German if I'm not mistaken. 

May I ask you to flatten out the right side as well? I completely understand if you can't. I just wanted to be done with that part and send it off for production. I'll have to find someone with 2015 version so I can see step by step what you exactly did. But I really appreciate the help. Thank you! I hope I haven't disturbed you too much with that part. 

Message 6 of 7
WHolzwarth

Yes, it's German. Here's the other one (2014), more straightforward.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
AmarD90

Ah, now I see what you did. You used bend and sketched like a new bridge for that part. I'll study that further and hopefully I can do the next one on my own. Thank you very much for your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report