Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Irregular Pattern

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
ianl1oyd
585 Views, 10 Replies

Irregular Pattern

Is there any way that you can pattern along a curved path bewteen two parts. where part A and part B are the start and end positions.

I believe that this would invlove Inventor calculating the angle of rotation for each part patterned.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
mrattray
in reply to: ianl1oyd

Example?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 11
JDMather

Do you want to pattern a feature on a Part C going between Part A and B or do you want to pattern a Component (Part C) between Parts A and B?

In either case - the solution involves a curve drive pattern which can be achieve through a trick of the Rectangular Pattern feature command.

Attach your assembly here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 11
ianl1oyd

Here is a sketch of the issue.

Could it be that the intersection where A and B meet, does not intersect with the axis of curve c?

Message 5 of 11
JDMather

Your sketch indicates a propable Circular Pattern solution.

We can get more complex than that with curve driven pattern.

Curve Driven Pattern.PNG

After re-reading your post it occured to me that maybe both arcs and lines were intended to be included in your pattern.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 11
ianl1oyd

I have managed to get the file ready for upload.

The triangle that is made from construction lines is the area where I would like the start and end positions to be, and thus the patteren to be within..

I would like to pattern along the curve.

As you can see I have tried using the linear pattern following the curve, but the end position is not parallel with my end guide line, this is the issue that I am facing. I need to it pattern 40 time within the space shown

Message 7 of 11
ianl1oyd

If I pattern using circular pattern tool I get the correct end position but the resulting pattern between them does not follow the curve.

Message 8 of 11
JDMather

I have a meeting for a while, in the meantime - iProperties indicates that you are using r2013 SP0.  I think there are at least a couple of Service Packs for r2013 that you might download and install.

Message 9 of 11
mrattray
in reply to: JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

I think there are at least a couple of Service Packs for r2013 that you might download and install.

Current version is SP2 UD5.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 10 of 11
coreyparks

You are not going to be able to do what you are trying as far as I can tell.  Lets see if I can explain this properly.  If you wanted to get 45 parts patterned along that curve each part would be rotated roughly 1 degree according to your drawing to get the orientation you need at the end of the arc.  The problem comes in where your 45 degree arc does not run through through the centerline of the arc.  The arc angle you have drawn is only approximatly 32 degrees.  This arc angle tells inventor then that for every part in the pattern instead of 1 degree rotation make it .71 degrees so that at the end of the arc you have the 32 dgree total.  Do you see?  The angle of rotation for each part is based off of the arc angle divided by the number of instances you want.  Did you truely want the part to not run through the centerline of the arc?

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 11 of 11
JDMather

If, in the end, this is really what you want - there is a way with some manual effort.

But like Corey, I question if this is what you really want to do?

In the attached image you would simply need to move from current position to position on your curve along red radial line as shown.  This can be done - but will be tedious.  Enough work that I didn't bother.  My concern if I did take the time is 1. there might be interference and 2. I am not convinced that is what you really really want.

Do you have an image of a similar real world design?

Move Component.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report