Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ipt to Sheet metal part and flattening problem.

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
autodesk_inventor_user
1344 Views, 19 Replies

Ipt to Sheet metal part and flattening problem.

I converted Ipt to sheet metal.

During conversion Inventor asked to update thickness in Sheet Metal Styles for proper unfolding.

In Sheet Metal Defaults I changed thickness to proper one.

I am putting the part on paper and the flat patern option is grayed out, the only way I can put it on paper is  folded model which I dont want.

Any ideas hot to flatten the panel on paper so I can make CNC file of it?

Thanks.

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

I clicked on Flat panel, Inventor thought a bit then created "flat pattern" that looks exacly same like the primary part - not flat, still bent.

Message 3 of 20

Check that the part you're trying to flatten has a uniform thickness throughout the part and has properly radiused corners instead of sharp corners. Also make sure the Thickness parameter is set to the actual thickness of the part.

Message 4 of 20

I set the proper thickness, and it is uniform.

Corners are not radiused or filleted though, can you elaborate on that? 

Message 5 of 20

?

Message 6 of 20

Attached is an image illustrating the corners. The corners of the lower part has an inner and outer radius that enables a uniform thickness to be maintained along the part. This radiused section is used to locate bends in a part to flatten it.

The upper part just has a sharp corner. The distance from point to point is greater than the thickness of the material making it have a non-uniform thickness so it can't unfold the part.

TestA1.png

Message 7 of 20

In case of the panel (picture attached) one end is mitered and the shape is rectangular with no radiuses.

What does it require to be flattened?

Probably the miter needs to be removed?

Thanks.

Message 8 of 20

If that is just a curved panel it should be able to be flattened. Check the Sheet Metal Rules and Unfold Rules for settings that apply to the material Thickness. When it is flattened watch what side is selected for flattening or the part may be undersized because of the mitre.

Message 9 of 20

Right side end does not appear to be cut perpendicular to the "flat" face - that may or may not be a problem.

Shears, plasma. laser, waterjet normally cut perpendicular to the flat (unless you have swiveling head).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 10 of 20

Thats what I said, what side is mittered, cut @ 45deg.

Will have to try with this feature supressed.

Message 11 of 20

Still does not work, attached Inventor mssg I get.

Message 12 of 20

Click on the face before clicking Flat Pattern.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 13 of 20

Nope.

Message 14 of 20
Message 15 of 20

There you go.

Message 16 of 20

Got it to unfold to a flat pattern.

Had to suppress the emboss on it first though.  

But the thickness parameter is set to 0.75 in. The part thickness is actually 0.747969.... in To set the thickness correctly I created a sketch on the edge of the part so I can see the profile of the curved part. Placed a reference dimension between the two curves. Then I set the Thickness parameter to equal the reference parameter. It then unfolded as it should.

TestA2.png

Message 17 of 20

I need it unfolded with embossed pattern so I can make a CNC file.

Thats not good news.

Message 18 of 20

It should be able to unfold with the emboss pattern unsupressed. For some reason on my machine I couldn't get the part to reorder and display without the emboss locking up my machine. So I suppressed it first.

The main thing is the thickness parameter has to exactly match the true thickness of the part.

Message 19 of 20

Emboss is a pain.

I will try that.

Thanks.

Message 20 of 20

Tadaaaaaaa!

Worked!

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report