Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.ipt to .dwg export problems

26 REPLIES 26
SOLVED
Message 1 of 27
Squawk
2511 Views, 26 Replies

.ipt to .dwg export problems

I'm a noob, but with help from people on this forum and other peoples Q&A I was able to make a foam inlay for in a case.

Then I devided the foam inlay in 4 layers and made a new part from those.

So far, so good..

The last step was to export the top of those 4 layers as .dwg files so that they could be cut out by a machine.

I made a new sketch on the top surface of each layer and used 'projected geometry' to draw all the planned cuts in this new sketch. I have to adjust the thickness of some of the foam cutouts and glue it back in to make different levels of depth in one level. So there are more planned cuts than just lines on the top of the sketch.

Either way, I could do it and ended up with 4 .dwg files (one for each layer) with all the lines on them that needed to be cut.

After all the work, and finally being my projects turn to be cut, the water cutter wrote me the message that the .dwg files were no good, because: they consisted out of points and non-joined lines. The different lines didn't seem to be connected..

I have since googled, experimented and lord knows what. But couldn't both see what he meant and neither find any solution to the problem.

I hope I could explain my problem well enough for you all to understand and really hope that there is a solution for this.

Thanks in advance for all te help!

Squawk

(Attached is the .ipt file of the top layer and the .dwg file I made from it.)

26 REPLIES 26
Message 21 of 27
Squawk
in reply to: Squawk

0012.jpg

Message 22 of 27
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi Squawk,

Squawk wrote:

1.... how do I delete the original line under the newly drawed line without/instead of deleting the newly drawed line?

....I had to use the 'start - end - radius' option of the arc feature, because the 3-point didn't give me the correct result.

In AutoCAD

1. Type E for ERASE
  2. Hover your cursor over the duplicate items.
  3. Press the SHIFT Key and the Space Bar at the same time to cycle through the objects.
  4. When the object you want is highlighted, click it.
  5. Press Enter to complete the Erase command

Note that since you're working with foam you can likely get a way with less preciseness than if you were working with some other material. Often when I'm putting the arcs back in I don't worry about them being tangent, or being the exact radius that the originals were, etc. because foam tolerances are pretty large, and since the material itself gives, it's pretty forgiving.

Squawk wrote:

2.And also, why if I draw such an arc (or any line) in AutoCAD, will it not automatically be a polyline?

AutoCAD creates objects as different entity types for all kinds of reasons. So basically that is just the way it is. Rather than using the ARC command you could use the POLYLINE command and use the Arc option within it, then the Arc would be created as a polyline. But I find for what you're doing it's just as easy to create simple arcs, and then use PEDIT (polyline edit) with the JOIN option to create the profiles.

Squawk wrote:

3.How do I turn the circle in a polyline?

You don't need to. The circle is a closed loop geometry, so the waterjet software can create the G-Code from it, as is.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor AutoCAD pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 23 of 27
Squawk
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Curtis, Steve, Blair and Mcgyvr, thank you so much for your help and patience!

I was able to complete this mission because of you guys!

Much appreciated!!

Man Happy

Message 24 of 27
Squawk

For foam layer 2, I'm facing another problem..

How can I create a new arc's in such a way that they cooincide with the original red arc's?

I've tried '3-point' arc, but unlike the vertical ones (now white), the horizontal ones did not jump to a green cross in the middle of the origial arc to make an excact same one. I can't make them to jump to the middle..

In Inventor this was easy as you could select the first point, the last point and then adjust the third point (center) to be where you wanted it, changing the shape of the arc.

0013.jpg

Message 25 of 27
Squawk

Never mind.. I used a different arc option that I could overdraw the original arc with.

It's foam and doesn't have to be 0.001mm accurate.. 🙂

Message 26 of 27
ampster401

np, I had seen you mentioned troubles with the arc command you found previously and I was going to suggest there are others as you have found.

Message 27 of 27
HOKAGEUZUMAKI

heyya, why not import .IPT to .DWG (using AUTOCAD)?

-SONNYC

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report