Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

iProperty description field in Windows explorer

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
wseaston
2052 Views, 9 Replies

iProperty description field in Windows explorer

Hi there, We would like to enforce that our designers save all Inventor files by the Part number only. This is not a problem when using Vault to open files as the interface can be customized to show the iProperty description field. The problem comes in for users who open files from the local drive before they have been added to Vault. There is no way for them to see the iProperty descrition for the files except if they hover over each file and wait for the tooltip to show which then shows a number of iProperties.

I found that I can add a Windows description column but by default it is blank. Is there anyway to get the iProperty description to synchronize with the windows description column? If not does anyone out there have any other suggestions?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Daniela_Koloszko
in reply to: wseaston

This is a limitation at the moment. iProperties of Inventor files cannot be added into the Windows Explorer column list. We have a wishlist item logged to our development team about this.

Daniela Koloszko

Message 3 of 10
mrice
in reply to: Daniela_Koloszko

Would be great to see this item off the wishlist soon, like the next update to 2014 (if there is another one). This is currently a headache and frustration!
Message 4 of 10
streharg
in reply to: mrice

And it's a big problem when you're using e.g. productstream or any other PDM software, and all od you like 100 000 parts are ENG-9457747 format. To be able to get iproperties and custom iproperties somehow into windows, would be awesome!

PDSU 2016
4790K, 32 Gb ram, GTX 960 ...
Fancy HP LCD
šŸ™‚
Message 5 of 10
stephengibson76

I know its an old post...  Is this possible yet?

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Message 6 of 10
chrisw01a
in reply to: stephengibson76

Has there been any progress on this?  I noticed when you use the "open" command within Inventor, you CAN choose the "description" column, however nothing is populated in the fields.  Does anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks

Capture.PNG

Message 7 of 10
chrisw01a

This would be a huge help when looking for an inventor file!

Message 8 of 10
mcgyvr
in reply to: chrisw01a

Seems there is an idea station request for this.. (author field but some of the comments request "any iproperty" to be added)

Show your support for it here by voting it up..

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/make-author-info-visible-through-windows-explorer/idi-...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 9 of 10
chrisw01a
in reply to: mcgyvr

Will do. Thank you.
Message 10 of 10
JBerns
in reply to: chrisw01a

You can also use Inventor Design Assistant in Windows Explorer to see your preferred iProperties.

See the explanation I posted here:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/iproperties-in-windows-explorer/m-p/6674560/highlight/...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAD Administrator
Using Inventor 2022
Autodesk Certified Instructor
Autodesk Inventor 2020 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2017 Certified Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report