Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iProperties Precision

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
andrewdroth
213 Views, 9 Replies

iProperties Precision

I have text in an .IDW that refrences an assembly custom iProperty. That custom iProperty is an exported assembly parameter.

Right now I have the text displaying "40.000 Lbs".

Is there a way to truncate the string to cut off the unit and precision to show "40"?

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

YouTube IconLinkedIn Icon

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
RonnieWilkins
in reply to: andrewdroth

In '09 yes.
Ronnie Wilkins, Jr.
Message 3 of 10
andrewdroth

Sweet!

But that means no in '08?

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

Message 4 of 10
mflayler2

If it is in a Parts List you might try Value Substitution and change the units or precision.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 5 of 10
andrewdroth

Nope, its text in a sketch.

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

Message 6 of 10
mflayler2

Just curious, what is the reason for the 40 LB weight? Is it needed as a conversion, for reference of something in the assembly, etc. You are not trying to get the Total Assembly Mass this way are you? (There are easier ways)

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 7 of 10
andrewdroth

Nope not the mass.

Its a drawing of a lifting device. I want to show a stamp of the capacity in the drawing. When the capacity changes I would like the text in the drawing to change as well.

The capacity it actually 80000 lbs but I used a paramter to divide it by 2000 to give me Tons. So now I have it showing up as "40.000 Lbs" and I would like to keep the "40" and add more text to give me "40 TON S.W.L., were the '40' will change with the capacity parameter.

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

Message 8 of 10
pkquat

To get rid of the "lbs" you should be able to change your units to "unitless" and adjust the formula ie X lbs / Y lbs * 1ul. There was a post on how to get rid of the trailing or leading zeros. I think you can change the format from text to number. If you want to change the displayed precision in '08 then I think you will need the LeaCar Mini-PE.

www.leacar.com

Pete Message was edited by: pkquat
Message 9 of 10
dan_inv09

a. Isn't there a precision window in the text dialog? You might need to designate your custom property as type "number." Can you change that with exported parameters? Since no one's suggested it I would have to guess, "No."

b. Well there was going to be a b but I just checked and "ton" is not a valid unit type. You can have pico-lumens or tera-teslas but not tons, go figure.

Okay, this probably won't help either. "Stamp," like rubber stamp, or like stamped into the part? If you emboss (or just extrude if it doesn't need to wrap) it on the part you can work directly with the parameter. Come to think of it, can't you do that in the drawing too? I think you can access the assembly parameter directly without exporting it, and then you can set the precision.
Message 10 of 10
andrewdroth

Changing the 'TYPE' in the custom iProperties window to 'number' worked.

Thanks for all your ideas.

To clarify, the 'Stamp' was stamped into the part. I tried using emboss, but the outcome on the drawing was an outline of the text. I wanted it to be filled black.

I was also doing the text inside a sketch on a view. I think you can only access the custom properties when your in a sketch. Message was edited by: andrewdroth

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums