Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iParts in Assemblies

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
cadcamm99
589 Views, 8 Replies

iParts in Assemblies

I am using Inventor 2012.  I have a subassembly that has two parts.  I was able to dimension each part by retrieving dimensions.  This subassembly also is an iAssembly. The main part stays the same but the second part changes.

My problem is, I had to make the main part an iPart because in one of the subassemblies, the main part has an added feature.  After making the main part an iPart, all my dimensions in the subassembly drawing turned pink.  I removed the dimensions and tried to retrieve them agan but now I cannot.  There are many dimensions I cannot manually dimension. 

Is there away to retrieve dimensions from an iPart in a subassembly?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Cadmanto
in reply to: cadcamm99

Not exactly sure what you mean by retrieving dimensions from an ipart in a sub assembly.  Are you talking about using dimensions from an ipart within an iassembly table to drive the assembly?  If so then no.  Maybe through iLogic, but not directly.

Also you should know, if you didn't already, if you create an ipart after that same part has been inserted into an assembly, in order for the ipart to show up in the assembly after the fact, you need to reinsert it back into the assembly.

Also, if you posted some images of what you are experiencing that helps to.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 9
cbenner
in reply to: Cadmanto

I think the OP might be referring to retrieving these dimensions in an idw, but neglected to mention that part of it?  If so, I have never messed with that.  How about you, Scott?

Message 4 of 9
Cadmanto
in reply to: cbenner

Chris,

If you are talking about inserting dimensions directly into the drawing via the model I have done that.

But, that could make this answer two fold.  Meaning now the OP might be asking about driving dimensions with in the

ipart/iassembly table (used to vary the model) and then getting those dimension into the drawing.

We have to wait for the OP to respond to see what exactly they are looking for.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 5 of 9
cadcamm99

Like I said, I am trying to use the Retrieve command in Annotate in my drawing to get the dimensions off the assembly model.  It worked fine when the part in the assembly was a normal part but now it is an iPart.  Now I cannot use Retrieve to get the dimensions from the model.  I have to dimension it manually.  However, some of the dimensions cannot be dimensioned manually.

Message 6 of 9
mcgyvr

You cannot retrieve dimensions of an ipart.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 9
Cadmanto

Sorry, I was stuck on this statement/question.

cadcamm99 wrote: 

Is there away to retrieve dimensions from an iPart in a subassembly?

Anyway, I found this thread.  I know it is an older one, but see if it works for you.
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Found-how-to-retrieve-iPart-dims-in-IDW-drawing/td-p...

I have never tried what is being suggested, so I can't speak from experience on it.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 8 of 9
cadcamm99

This only works for an iPart drawing.  Not an Assembly drawing with an iPart in it.

Message 9 of 9
Cadmanto

It was worth a shot.

Seems to me this should be incorporated into an idea.

I have created one here that you can go and place your kudos vote for.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Ability-to-Import-Dimensions-from-iParts-iAssembl...

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report