Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iParts / iAssemblies & Inventor Upgrade

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Jason.Amess
318 Views, 6 Replies

iParts / iAssemblies & Inventor Upgrade

Greetings All,

Having recently upgraded to 2013 I now have an issue whereby my custom library parts (iParts & iAssemblies - all table driven) are failing within the assembly environment when new members are added. It appears that by creating a new member within the iPart / iAssy the derived geometry does not recognise the constraints placed within the assembly environment.

If I were to switch between existing members (ie generated in 2012) there is no issue, it only affects newly added members (ie generated in 2013)

I remeber having this issue when migrating from 2011 to 2012 but as I had made some fundamental changes to the models used for the library parts I put the issue down to that, rather than an issue between derived component "versions"

Any guidance on how to prevent this in future would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Jas
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ampster402
in reply to: Jason.Amess

no mention if you migrated all the files from the previous version of Inventor to the newer version...

Do it if you haven't.

Message 3 of 7
Jason.Amess
in reply to: ampster402

All parts were migrated before i added the new members

Jas
Message 4 of 7
swordmaster

I suspect that you will have to generate all the members in the new inventor version rather than migrating the existing members

Inventor 2010 Certified Professional
Message 5 of 7
Jason.Amess
in reply to: swordmaster

Which is the route I took last time, however that means that all of my legacy assemblies which contain members of these iParts or iAssemblies will have constraint failures.

If this is truly the only solution then I guess the whole selling point of dynamic table driven library items is a joke.

Jas
Message 6 of 7
swordmaster

Hi,

Losing the constraints is rather worrying. At some point in the future I will need to do a similar migration 

of my standard library iassemblies and iparts.

Are your components constrained using faces of geometry or do you use work features (planes,axes etc)

Inventor 2010 Certified Professional
Message 7 of 7
Jason.Amess
in reply to: swordmaster

Where possible I have used iMates, but majority of items in the final assembly are constrained to features on the iPart members - and it's these that fail with the new geometry creation.

iMates don't cascade so if I use the child part in a sub assembly and then carry that into my final assembly then the iMates are no longer available. Creating the required iMates at sub assy level doesn't resolve the issue as the iMate itself then fails because it doesn't recognise the geometry used to define it........

Jas

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report