Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iParts Generating Folders

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Cadmanto
1065 Views, 13 Replies

iParts Generating Folders

When we create iparts and generate the files from the mother ipart, Inventor creates an additional folder to place the iparts into.  Is there a setting somewhere to force Inventor to place these generated files into a user defined location?

Or is this just something we have to live with and do we have to manually move the files after generating them.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Hi Cadmanto,

For the most part you have to live with it. But it would be nice to have the abilty to define the file store location for each iPart factory.

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/01/feature-request-for-inventor.html

If by chance your iPart factories can all be placed in a library folder, then you can set up Inventor to write the files to a single directory. Attached is a slide I had on hand that covers the set up for this.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 14

Hi Curtis,

Thanks for the link.  Not sure if dumping all of our generated iparts into one folder will work for us, but I have put it out there for discussion here.  I also placed an enhancement request into the link you provided as well.

Thanks for your help again.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 4 of 14
Lance127
in reply to: Cadmanto

Well it would be nice to change the location of the folder. I'm wondering though why do you want to move the files?

Lance W.
Inventor Pro 2013 (PDS Ultimate)
Vault Pro 2013
Windows 7 64
Xeon 2.4 Ghz 12GB
Message 5 of 14
Cadmanto
in reply to: Lance127

Only so the are in one central location not only on the local drive, but in the vault.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 14
Lance127
in reply to: Cadmanto

If you generate all the files when you check in the master iAssembly it will check in all of the individual files also. What we do is put the master iasmbly files in a seperate folder and give them descriptive names with the individual versions getting a number. When they are created we leave them in the subfolder and check in the master. The annotation files are created and saved in our normal folder structre.

Yes that seperates the iam and idw/dwg file but it also makes it easier to update the iassembly when needed.

Lance W.
Inventor Pro 2013 (PDS Ultimate)
Vault Pro 2013
Windows 7 64
Xeon 2.4 Ghz 12GB
Message 7 of 14

How about a "MAKE INVENTOR SMART" button. That would work better.

Message 8 of 14
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: feravelar

@feravelar

This posting is 5 years old..  Can you clarify what you are looking for?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 9 of 14
feravelar
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

I will put it this way: 

- I sent all the part to CNC and laser cut. then my coworker asked for a assembly modification to help his guys to define the right order of assembly. 

- I came to the computer, got in Inventor (release 2018), changed the explosion to modify the drawing as we needed but when I try to see the update in the drawing it just does not update. I push the bottom "update", I re-inserted the drawing. 

Now instead of keep going with my job I am searching in the web for 15 min. until I find that the same issue happened 5 years ago and still nobody have realized that we the users don not need a "inventor created extra hidden file" 

And then I have to type to Autodesk "my issue".

I didn't had this kind of problem with NX or solidworks. 

Fernando Avelar

Message 10 of 14
Mark.Lancaster

@feravelar

Can your clarify this..

I came to the computer, got in Inventor (release 2018), changed the explosion to modify the drawing as we needed but when I try to see the update in the drawing it just does not update. I push the bottom "update", I re-inserted the drawing

Changed the explosion to modify the drawing..  What do you mean by this?  Are you updating your iPart factory/members or the drawing?  If the former you need to regenerate members when changes are made.  Changes don't automatically happen..  Smiley Wink   And just because something works in a given application doesn't mean every other application in the world works the same way.   One more thing.  What did you type to Autodesk?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 11 of 14
feravelar

I see the forums, and you guys always give the same answer to everyone. Inventor is different.

I have no time for this chat, thank you for your time. 

Fernando

Message 12 of 14
mcgyvr

There have always been some issues in Inventor with iparts/iassemblies not updating for as long as I've been using it..

I always recommend that after any change to an ipart or iassembly that you do a rebuild all and then generate all the members..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 13 of 14
feravelar
in reply to: mcgyvr

thank you for your honesty

Message 14 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi Fernando,

Many thanks for approaching me directly! The file you sent me was empty. Please send it again so I can take a look. Based on your description here and in the email, I not sure if the issue is related to iPart. It is more about how drawing views update based on the change in ipn file.

All software has room for improvement. Inventor is not an exception.

Thanks again!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report