Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iParts driven by External Excel

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
prasanthpakalapati
400 Views, 2 Replies

iParts driven by External Excel

Hi All..

Can we drive (Modify/Edit) iParts using External Excel sheet just like Excel Parameter linking.

Regards,

Prasanth

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hello Autodesk,

is there a solution for this?

Thanks,

Gotz

Message 3 of 3

Hi! Technically it is doable but I don't think it is a good workflow to begin with. iPart/iAssembly was designed to create library components, fully defined by the author table (internal not external). The member files need to be created and stored in a library folder, not subject constant change.

It sounds like you want to use an external table to drive iPart. Like I mentioned earlier, it is not how iPart should work. But, it is indeed technically doable. Here is the workflow. You link an Excel table to the iPart factory. Then you can edit the iPart author table and "link" to this external table. You may run into update issues because it will largely depend on how Excel pass data from one file to another. I have seen files like that but the update process can be very convoluted.

I am wondering if iLogic would work better for you. Could you share an example of what exactly you are trying to achieve? There may be better workflows than iPart with an external table.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report