Inventor General Discussion

Active Contributor
47 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 1 of 4

Ipart Updates

92 Views, 3 Replies
08-07-2012 10:33 AM

Something simple would be if you have a part file (TEST-1.ipt) that was an extruded rectangle and it's dimensions were 2" long 2" tall and 0.25" thick and you placed it in an assembly (TEST-1.iam). When you go back and edit the sketch of TEST-1.IPT and make it 6" long and then return to TEST-1.iam, the assembly file automatically updates to the new length dimension.

If I make the TEST-1.ipt an Ipart with members (no dimensional parameters) TEST-1-01 and TEST-1-02 and during placement into TEST-1.iam I place TEST-1-01. Now when I go back to TEST-1.ipt and edit the sketch length value to 20" and return to TEST-1.iam there is not an automatic update.

I have to select the member and pick generate files or in TEST-1.iam I have to manually update. Is this the way it is supposed to work or is there a setting I am missing.

Thanks,

*Expert Elite*
7,328 Posts
657 Kudos
Post 2 of 4

Re: Ipart Updates

08-07-2012 01:26 PM in reply to: BDUB2012

Yes thats how it works..

Constraint preview doesn't work with iparts either.. Thats a much bigger problem for me..

Then wait till you get to idw files and iparts/iassemblies.. There are limitations there too..

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

Employee
2,364 Posts
194 Kudos
Post 3 of 4

08-07-2012 03:09 PM in reply to: BDUB2012

Hi! I must have not followed the steps correctly. But, I cannot seem to see the no-update behavior. Could you attach an example here?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Senior Principal SQA Engineer, Inventor
Mechanical Design
Autodesk, Inc.

Employee
2,364 Posts
194 Kudos
Post 4 of 4

08-07-2012 03:14 PM in reply to: mcgyvr

Hi! Constraint Preview is disabled when the selected component is either a derive part (ipart included) or an adaptive part. The behavior was introduced because the preview may not correctly show the resultant position and geometry where a derive part or an adaptive part requires a full solve to compute correctly. We are exploring possibility of improving this workflow.

Many thanks for the feedback!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Senior Principal SQA Engineer, Inventor
Mechanical Design
Autodesk, Inc.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the future of the Autodesk Community? To participate in this brief usability study, please click here. Your time and input is greatly appreciated!