Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ipart Updates

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
BDUB2012
171 Views, 3 Replies

Ipart Updates

Something simple would be if you have a part file (TEST-1.ipt) that was an extruded rectangle and it's dimensions were 2" long 2" tall and 0.25" thick and you placed it in an assembly (TEST-1.iam). When you go back and edit the sketch of TEST-1.IPT and make it 6" long and then return to TEST-1.iam, the assembly file automatically updates to the new length dimension.

If I make the TEST-1.ipt an Ipart with members (no dimensional parameters) TEST-1-01 and TEST-1-02 and during placement into TEST-1.iam I place TEST-1-01. Now when I go back to TEST-1.ipt and edit the sketch length value to 20" and return to TEST-1.iam there is not an automatic update.

I have to select the member and pick generate files or in TEST-1.iam I have to manually update. Is this the way it is supposed to work or is there a setting I am missing.

Thanks,

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mcgyvr
in reply to: BDUB2012

Yes thats how it works..

Constraint preview doesn't work with iparts either.. Thats a much bigger problem for me..

Then wait till you get to idw files and iparts/iassemblies.. There are limitations there too..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 4
johnsonshiue
in reply to: BDUB2012

Hi! I must have not followed the steps correctly. But, I cannot seem to see the no-update behavior. Could you attach an example here?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 4
johnsonshiue
in reply to: mcgyvr

Hi! Constraint Preview is disabled when the selected component is either a derive part (ipart included) or an adaptive part. The behavior was introduced because the preview may not correctly show the resultant position and geometry where a derive part or an adaptive part requires a full solve to compute correctly. We are exploring possibility of improving this workflow.

Many thanks for the feedback!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report