Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ipart - Standard parameter column change depending on custom parameter column

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
SoulAsasin
931 Views, 11 Replies

Ipart - Standard parameter column change depending on custom parameter column

Hello all,

I am triyng to publish to the CC a guide rail. The vendor of the rail gives me the option of entering the desired length of the rail. After that he gives me the option to choose beetween the length that I entered and a shorter and longer standard length witch can be delivered faster.

I want to do the same thing with my published part, but I cannot make a key parameter to change depending on the entered custom parameter. I want the user to make the next steps when inserting from the CC: 1- select the size of the rail; 2-select the type of the rail; 3- enter the dezired length of the rail; 4- choose beetween the desired length and the 2 recomended lengths (I need these 3 lengths to be shown)

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Inventor 2012
Win 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5400
Intel Xeon 2,5 GHz
8 Gb RAM
NVIDIA Quadro Fx 3700
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
SoulAsasin
in reply to: SoulAsasin

anybody?

Inventor 2012
Win 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5400
Intel Xeon 2,5 GHz
8 Gb RAM
NVIDIA Quadro Fx 3700
Message 3 of 12
SoulAsasin

I hope somebody answers until 2189. The year I will by my next autodesk product!

Inventor 2012
Win 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5400
Intel Xeon 2,5 GHz
8 Gb RAM
NVIDIA Quadro Fx 3700
Message 4 of 12
cwhetten

I'm pretty sure that this isn't possible with standard iPart functionality.  This would not be very hard to do with iLogic, but when you throw the content center into the equation, it gets trickier.  I don't know if it is possible to have iLogic rules in a CC part... I've never tried it.

Can you post your part so I can give it a try?

-cwhetten

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.

Message 5 of 12
SoulAsasin
in reply to: cwhetten

Hey.

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid of this. Oh well.

I attached the rail. It isn't much. I knew that the length generation will be the bottleneck, so it was the first thing I tried.

You can take the section from my part if you want to start from 0.

I guess that if you manage to pull it of with iLogic, I won't be able to use it in Inventor 2010. Right?

Thanks anyway.

Inventor 2012
Win 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5400
Intel Xeon 2,5 GHz
8 Gb RAM
NVIDIA Quadro Fx 3700
Message 6 of 12
cwhetten

OK, I'll see what I can do.

iLogic was available in 2010 as an add-on for subscription customers.  If you are on subscription, you can download and install the add-on.  If not, then I guess we will have to see what else we can do.

Message 7 of 12
cwhetten

Is there some kind of logic to the recommended lengths, like maybe they are every 16 mm or whatever?  If there is some pattern to it, it may be possible to do this with a formula.

Message 8 of 12
SoulAsasin

Hey.

Thanks for the help.

Attached you have a pdf catalog of the rail. On page 121 you can see how the recomended length is calculated based on the desired length. Hope it helps.

Unfortunatly our company only has the basic version of Inventor so we don't have iLogic. But maybe I can convince them to buy the add-on if we can use it enough.

Thanks.

Inventor 2012
Win 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5400
Intel Xeon 2,5 GHz
8 Gb RAM
NVIDIA Quadro Fx 3700
Message 9 of 12
cwhetten

Well, without iLogic, there is definitely no way to do EXACTLY what you want.  However, I have an idea that may be close enough for you.

I am out of time today, but I will write back on monday.

Message 10 of 12
SoulAsasin

Hey.

Looking forward to your ideea.

Thanks.

Inventor 2012
Win 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5400
Intel Xeon 2,5 GHz
8 Gb RAM
NVIDIA Quadro Fx 3700
Message 11 of 12
cwhetten

You could set up your iPart table with a key column for the custom length and a key column with options such as "Standard" and "Custom".  This allows the user to choose whether the custom or standard length is desired, and it also tells the part which parameter (column) to use to calculate the length.

For example, if you want a custom length, you would enter a custom value and choose "Custom" (you would also need to pick a standard length, but this pick would be trivial).  Then, when the part is placed, because you chose "Custom", it would use the custom length.  If you choose "Standard" instead, then the part would use the standard length.

The only way to make this happen would be to have two extrusions--one using the standard length parameter, and one using the custom length parameter.  Then you would have columns in your iPart table that would suppress one and compute the other, depending on the choice of "Custom" or "Standard".  Does this make sense?

Your iPart table would have rows for each of the sizes, because the formula for the recommended length is based on the hole spacing, and the hole spacing depends on size.  I didn’t understand when you said there are three lengths to choose from.  Seems to me there are two: the desired custom length and the recommended length from the formula.  What is the third length choice?

I wish I could give you a part that demonstrates what I'm talking about, but I don't have 2010.

Message 12 of 12
SoulAsasin

Hey.

This is what I started to do. But it's not easy. If you have custom length then you have custom hole spacing or standard hole spacing, so this complicates the whole thing. But this method will work eventualy, the only thing is that it takes more time to build.

I have three tipes of lenths because on some sizes the vendor gives me the option to choose between desired length, an upper standard length and a lower standard length.

But thanks anyway for the replyes.

Inventor 2012
Win 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5400
Intel Xeon 2,5 GHz
8 Gb RAM
NVIDIA Quadro Fx 3700

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report