Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ipart mass override

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
s.cote
1830 Views, 12 Replies

ipart mass override

Hi,

I have made an Ipart family for our electrical motor. I've publish them in a content center library. My problem is that the weight doesn't match with the real one. I search a solustions to override the weight of each member of my family. Does someone have any solutions about this problem.

Thank a lot.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
swalton
in reply to: s.cote

There might be an ilogic solution, but I don't use that very much so I can't offer one.  Maybe you add a custom iprop to the factory table that stores the mass for each member and add a rule that overwrites the member mass with the value from the custom iprop.

I can think of two non-ilogic solutions to this problem.

1. Create a custom material for each member that has a density value that gets the correct weight for each ipart member.

2. Add an internal void to the factory and adjust its size until you get the correct weight for each ipart member.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 3 of 13
Cadmanto
in reply to: s.cote

This is hard to speak to from this end.

All I can tell you is the weight is based on the density of the material you select.  If the density of the material you selected matches the real life part, then it should match.  Is this material selected a custom material you placed in the material library or did you select one from the out of the box materials inside of Inventor?

The fact that they are in the CC has nothing to do with weight.  Were they correct prior to publishing to the CC and that is the premise of your question?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 13
sistcon
in reply to: Cadmanto

You can override the Mass of any Part or assembly by entering to the iProperties.. I show it with a picture.. 

I dont know if you can do this once the part is published

Rotulo deseado.png

Message 5 of 13
Cadmanto
in reply to: sistcon

Yes, I know that can be done, but in my opinion, this is not a solution, but just a bandaid and mask of what the true root cause is.  The software is supposed to do this automatically and if there is an incorrect value, then something like the material specs need to be altered.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 6 of 13
sistcon
in reply to: Cadmanto

Of course, If your design is 100% true, and all the materials are set correctly the weight should be correct one.. But in many situations your 3D data came from brochures or similar... So you design an empty shell with general dimension and then override the weight,, for example if you are using an electric motor in an assembly, and you take the dimensions and weight from the Web page of the manufacturer, you can use this method..

Message 7 of 13
jwynne

Does someone have a solution for this? I have the exact same problem as the last commenter. We have an imported part that represents an non-homogenous assembly. We typically use a mass override to get the right value, but this gets lost when using an iPart family -- the resulting mass is just volume * density. Why can't iParts also override the mass?

Tags (3)
Message 8 of 13
blair
in reply to: jwynne

A single part or iPart representation of an assembly won't produce the correct Mass or C/G of the part. You can override the Mass of the part in the iProperties tab which will then reflect the correct Mass. This won't help with the correct C/G location of the part or any assembly that this part resides within.

I guess you could also override the C/G coordinates as well and enter in user defined ones for the X, Y, Z values.

Just change the calculated values and remember not to click on the Update icon in the Physical Tab of the iProperties.

Each time you place an iPart the value is updated. I think I might just create all the different combinations of this unit as standard parts and override the Mass and C/G coordinates if you want accurate assembly values.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 13
jwynne
in reply to: blair

How can I override the mass of a multi-body ipart and have that persist into an iPart instance?

I am trying to create a library iPart that's based on an electric gear motor model. The gear motor is a complex, multi-density item. The representational model is just a single part, so we override and enter the correct mass (CG will differ, but that's OK). We want to have multiple versions of this motor that change nothing about the physical model -- only the model numbering (for different vendor options: motor winding, encoder type, etc.). Unfortunately, our solution to use iPart seems to suggest we cannot use mass overrides -- without fudging to get the mass right (creating a custom density, or creating an internal cavity). What are other people doing here? 

Note: overriding the mass at the next assembly is not a viable, long term option. 

Message 10 of 13
Montita

I have same problem, I clicked on iProperties >>  Physic >>  but I couldn't see the "user override value"  botton at the right side of mass box, my program only have calculate value botton.
What wrong with my program? Everyone can help please?

Thanks  a lot 

Message 11 of 13
blair
in reply to: Montita

It used to be the center "hand" icon. Now just click the calculator icon to the RH of the Mass box to recalculate and then change the displayed value with your manual entry. This will over write the value with your manually entered value.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 13
JBEDsol
in reply to: blair

I have a lot of problems with this once I update to content center but set a custom parameter "Weight" and add this iLogic.  Add to a trigger that it updates on open or parameter change or something like that.

Works like a charm for non published parts.  Gives grief once you publish but still technically works.

iProperties.Mass=parameter("Weight")

Message 13 of 13
blandb
in reply to: JBEDsol

Please see below to see if this solves what you are trying to do. There is reply with a "p1.ipt" that might be what you are looking for. Hope it helps

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/adding-mass-overides-to-iparts/td-p/3267778

Autodesk Certified Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report