Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPart/iAssembly insert position

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
ProfileLightingLtd
435 Views, 3 Replies

iPart/iAssembly insert position

Hi All

I am new to Inventor and am making an iAssembly.

The part is a row of battery's with endcaps either end, The endcaps have slots for fixing. The manufacture recommends fixing centres but these fall in a position where I cant constrain to my main assembly using the geometry of the endcaps so I want to make some kind of axis or invisible geometry to constrain to.

Is this possible and how?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mcgyvr
in reply to: ProfileLightingLtd

sure.. simply add whatever you need in the assembly environment. Either a sketched surface or adding workplanes/axis/points,etc...

Note you can also constrain with the assemblies origin planes,etc...

It might be better to adjust the placement of the parts in the assembly to be able to easily use origin planes for constraints without having to create additional ones.

This should be a simple task for someone with proper training.. And could be a continual nightmare for you if you attempt to "fudge" it now. 

I'd suggest any newbie in Inventor using it professionally to beg their boss for at least a day or 2 of proper training.. Spending a bit of money now can save you thousands of dollars in mistakes in the future. 

I'd suggest posting a pack and go of the assembly.. Some users here will take a look and offer suggestions,etc...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 4
ProfileLightingLtd
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thanks for the reply.

I have just come off the Autodesk Part 1, 2 day Inventor course but things like this was not covered. It was quite basic really. We plan on doing the other courses I am just eager to start work in it whilst its all still fresh in my head.

I was messing about with this file last night and think I have it right, but if yourself or anyone else could check for me I would appreciate it. It works so I guess its ok but there may be a better solution.

Heres what I did: 1) Made a sketch with a point in the endcap part. 2) made that sketch visible in the assembly. 3) droped a point on that point then hid the sketch which left the last two points. Hope that makes some kind of sense.

I have attached a pack and go, but I removed the Design Data and Templates folders as didnt think these would be needed they looked like the inventors default stuff and was bumping the file size up.

Thanks again

Chris L.

Message 4 of 4
mcgyvr
in reply to: ProfileLightingLtd

That workpoint should work just fine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report