Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ipart factory

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
Anonymous
1140 Views, 19 Replies

Ipart factory

I had an established released door dwgthat I cioied back to use to create additional versions with ipart factory.

I have found it disturbing that I called up the part drawing from the original part and saw that the factory had changed the part in the drawing to the new wider part. It seems that as long as Ipart factory part is open which ever part is active will replace the part in the drawing when it is called up (no matter what the part naming convention says). I don't unerstand this function. Need help.

Tags (1)
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

edit base view on the idw, go to the model tab and change ipart member to the member you want in the drawing (not active factory member)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

Mine isnt allowing me to change the part,they are all the same part?
Message 4 of 20
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:
Mine isnt allowing me to change the part,they are all the same part?

Can you post a screenshot of what you see on that tab when you edit the base view?

Have you generated all the members? (right click on all the members in your ipart factory and hit generate)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous

where do I go to generate the model....that's probably why it isn't working

-Jonathon Wood A-101
Message 6 of 20
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:
where do I go to generate the model....that's probably why it isn't working

-Jonathon Wood A-101

See attached image

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous

I was hoping, but I just hit generate files and selected another file and nothing changed. I don't think that's right, is it?
Message 8 of 20
mcgyvr

try creating a new drawing now that you have generated the members and see if it works..

Inventor has a nasty bug with drawings not showing updates properly with iparts.

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous

Still giving me the same part 😕

-Jonathon Wood A-101
Message 10 of 20
mcgyvr

post the ipart

I don't need the members..just the factory ipt

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous

you want me to post the part itself?

-Jonathon Wood A-101
Message 12 of 20
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:
you want me to post the part itself?

-Jonathon Wood A-101

yep.. and tell me what version of Inventor you are using

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous

Sorry, I had to check with my boss haha he doesn't like the idea of it just floating in cyberspace haha

Message 14 of 20
mcgyvr

works just fine for me..

See attached

and you are aware you have many missing dimensions right? this part is NOT fully constrained at all. Not that it really matters but its NEVER a good idea to create parts that aren't fully constrained

Message 15 of 20
mcgyvr

oh wait..now I see what your real problem was..

The part is not changing its "Length" parameter when switching members.. It "seemed" like you were having a problem where all members were showing the same member name in the member selection box..

Give me a second to see why

ok.. Its just because you dimensioned that "length" parameter to a construction line and then nothing is referenced off that construction line so the length isn't changing. So it really is missing dimensions that is causing the problem..

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous

I don't need it in a dwg, but I am aware I can select a different size, but the part is the visually the came part to part. this is where I have the issue, try it in this assembly, but I might have it wrong. The goal here is I need the hinge (and part name and number) to change upon a certain range on doors that I have controlled via an excel file. so if I plug in dimensions like an 80"x32" door, I need the 30" strap to be placed on the door in the correct location. but if I say read the munber wrong and it was a 36" wide door, I need the straps to reflect that.... Does this make sense? Is it even possible?

Message 17 of 20
mcgyvr

I just edited my post so see right above for the cause

well here it is

mcgyvr
ok.. Its just because you dimensioned that "length" parameter to a construction line and then nothing is referenced off that construction line so the length isn't changing. So it really is missing dimensions that is causing the problem..

Now go back into your first sketch and 100% constrain everything and it works just fine. It changes length when you pick each different member. 

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous

Does the coding on the hinge look right?
Message 19 of 20
mcgyvr

frankly thats just a mess of poor sketching/dimensioning (no offense).

start over IMO.. 

Message 20 of 20
Anonymous

none taken..... I have been self taught for about the past 5 years. I had about 3 months training in high school in 10th grade... we necer got into the content center, I couldnt dream of touching programming or a part switching its self for another part if the loads in the part increased. I just learned I could control dimensions from Excel.... the long and the short is I need training in just about everything haha. so I take everything with a grain of salt. Thank you so much for your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report