Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPart Creation Problems

33 REPLIES 33
Message 1 of 34
cadman777
1023 Views, 33 Replies

iPart Creation Problems

Will someone please tell me why part 08 keeps reverting back to 24" Length when I keep trying to make it 36"?
Nothing I do will fix this.

I had to ditch a full table b/c none of the Lengths would stay at their nominal values (36, 48 & 60, but user specified w/i a range in 1" increments).

What am I missing here?
I've always had trouble w/this.

Thanx ...

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
33 REPLIES 33
Message 21 of 34
cadman777
in reply to: salariua

Adrian,

Thanx for the excellent insights!

Now I can make a better informed decision on things here.

Let me digest and try your stuff tomorrow, and see what shakes-out.

Will get back to you.

Cheers ...

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 22 of 34
salariua
in reply to: cadman777

Just pasted a message here for a different post, sorry.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 23 of 34
cadman777

Adrian,

Hope you enjoyed your weekend.

I read your posting, and read the 2 links.

First let me thank you for that tip:
Combining all the families possible, so the FG won't break all features connected to them when they change.

Excellent suggestion!

Okay, I've been pouring over all the info you provided, and previous info I found.

There's a handful of you Experts who have helped me move towards accomplishing my goal.

I already do what Curtis explains in his "Part Number and BOM" web page. Only difference is what iProps I use to do it.

I already do what you say in your "Frame Generator & CC Steel Shapes". Am pretty close to establishing a custom library that suits my needs.

At this point, my goal is to further streamline the BOM/Parts List process by automating every manual process that's possible.

However, I'm finding that extremely difficult, b/c every time I try something, something else breaks.

At this point, this is where I'm at w/the process:

The FG keeps messing up my goal, b/c of how it handles the "Part Number" iProp.

This is what I want to accomplish, and maybe you have some ideas on how I can do it:

How do I get the following Equation from the Family Table "Part Number" Expression into the BOM "Part Number" (via the part's iProp)?:

=<G_H> x <G_W> x <G_T> - <G_L>

However, The FG posts it to the iProp as plain text (which representing the values that the program returns from the Equation). I want the Equation to appear instead. Also, the FG adds a prefix and suffix, which I do NOT want. On the other hand, when I create in the Family Table a custom Column with the above Expression, it works just as I want.

Do you know how I can get the Family Table "Part Number" Expression to push the above Equation into the part's iProp AS AN EQUATION, as well as eliminate the prefix and suffix that FG automatically attaches to the Part Number?

Note:

I want the right hand window to show the equation when you double click on it, instead of plain text.

Do you know if thiIs is possible?

5.PNG

The FG keeps derailing my goal.

I want the "Part Number" to automatically format properly, and then automatically roll-up , w/no manual editing from me.

The only manual editing I am aiming for is assigning MARK NO's to the parts in the BOM.

Thanx for helping ...

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 24 of 34
salariua

In my case it does. When you double click in the part number of a an item it shows the formula. And the formula bar is right at the top just above the "Model data" " Structured" " Parts only" tabs sort of like EXCEL.

The <> are a way of calling other iproperties. In the current working place we have Project not as a project number but as a project and client description and we sometimes need to have it in a certain way over 3 separate lines. So I enter my line formatted text in the Comments cell and call it as a formula in Project like this:

150.jpg

151.jpg

152.jpg

We are doing the same thing but with G_L G_H G_W as long as they are exposed as custom iproperties in the part. In order to do that you need edit the family template and mark Export on the parameters you want to use in the formula. Make sure you edit the export format with right click on it and take off extra digits, and units, etc..

154.jpg

Then you need to edit the family table and have your formula like this:

155.jpg 

You need to force sending it as text at least the = part of it but in your case you can have it all in quotation marks. I only needed G_L forced as text and the = part of it of course.

Forcing the value as text means that the result gets computed at the part level. In the parts list you have just some text , in part becomes a formula.

Hope it makes sense. 

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 25 of 34
salariua

I just realised how far we deviated from the original problem. Smiley Surprised maybe we should start this somewhere else.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 26 of 34
cadman777

Adrian,

Thanx again for taking the time.

I do all the things you say.

Only difference is I find using the "" not necessary, b/c either way, the same result occurs.

Is it possible that AD changed the program after my version (2010) so it's not working like your version is?

Here's a screen shot of what happens when I do everything right:

Part Number Expression, FG & Custom Parts Comparison-1.jpg

The "PLAIN TEXT" occurs in the Frame Generator parts ONLY.

The "EQUATION" occurs in CC parts and Custom CC parts (= parts saved to the local project folder).

I want to stop FG from adding the prefix and suffix to my iProp Equation, and to print the equation as it appears in the Family Table Expression.

Any idea how to do that?

Do you know if this is a limitation in IV2010?

Thanx ...

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 27 of 34
cadman777

Adrian,

Here are 2 more screen shots to clarify what I'm talking about ...

Part Number in Family Table & BOM.jpgPart Number in CC, FG & Custom Parts-1.jpg

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 28 of 34
salariua

This is unbelievable, I don' get any messages from this. I wonder how many have I missed, how many have asked me questions and I ignored them away without notice.

I decided to check back and see wha'ts new in here. Maybe you should send me a message when posting (weird).

I'll get back to you.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 29 of 34
salariua

@cadman777 wrote:

Is it possible that AD changed the program after my version (2010) so it's not working like your version is?

NO, I have been using this setting 5-6 years ago, but to be onest I wasn't using FG very much. I hate that it didn't reuse pars, I hate the filenaming, and even for large structures it took me about same time to do it right (not FG).

The "PLAIN TEXT" occurs in the Frame Generator parts ONLY.

Show me this window from your frame generator menu. I don't remember if this was an option in 2010 but you can get the PN from CC.

230.jpg

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 30 of 34
salariua

Don't struggle to much if that option is not available to you inventor version. Paste the formula in one of the cell of PN and drag-drop copy to the rest of the items like this:

250.gif

Kind of makes a mess out of the formula there but I am sure you get the gist.

You obviously need to edit the family template and remove the extra digits, and units from the G_W, G_H G_T G_L like I've shown you before.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 31 of 34
cadman777

Adrian,

Thanx for sticking w/me on this.

I already do what you describe in editing the BOM, and have been doing it since the AD developers added the BOM to IV. I remember back in those days all the suggestions I sent into AD about the Parts List. They created the BOM for addressing all those issues.

My goal for visiting the CC and trying to customize the CC parts is to eliminate all the hours I waste editing the BOM.

The "Part Number" is one of the keys to doing this. Apparently I'm stuck until I upgrade the program, which I can't afford to do.

My goal was to eliminate all editing of the BOM to ONLY assigning MARK NO's at the end of the job before releasing drawings.

No biggie. You and Curtis and Rusty have helped me immensely in understand the CC Family Table, and in accomplishing my main customization goals.

I still want to do more customizations, but I'll do them via inquiry in another thread.

Once again, for all the Autodesk employees reading this:

WHEN WILL YOU MAKE AVAILABLE TO US ALL THE "INTEL" ON THE iPARTS AND CC CONNECTIONS?
WE NEED THAT SO WE CAN CUSTOMIZE THE PROGRAM TO SUIT OUR STANDARDS.

NOT EVERYBODY WHO'S AN END USER IS ABLE TO WRITE VB, C OR OTHER COMPUTER PROGRAMS.

Thanx again Adrian ... Chris

PS: Find attached a table I got off the official AISC web site, of structural shape data. I realize you design in metric. But maybe you nation's standards organization has such a database that you can download for free to ensure all your parts are in compliance? I discovered that Autodesk's CC parts are NOT in compliance w/the AISC standard (!), even though it was available way back in 1987, long before the CC came into existence.

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 32 of 34
salariua

You can also run an ilogic code to update all part numbers Smiley Sad

Thanks for the AISC files, didn't knew they don't comply.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 33 of 34
cadman777

Adrian,

iLogic didn't come standard w/2010.

I inquired about paying for it as an add-in, but Autodesk wanted to extort a "Subscription" outta me to get iLogic. Nothing like posturing against your customers!

My intent was to discover if iLogic would be of any value to me. I was willing to pay a reasonable price for it as an add-on.

I suppose the machinery at Autodesk is averse to helping out their customer base, Too bad, b/c that put a bitter taste in my mouth (for the nth time), deterring me any further upgrades of Inventor, unless I get desperate. I'm still holding-out.

It'd be cheaper for me to hire a programmer to add needed functions to this software.

My view: Why not support the "little guy" instead of the corporations and their cadre?

Cheers ...

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 34 of 34

Curtis,

I'm back to the stair tread after 2 weeks of working on the CC and iPart customizations for various company standards.

Find attached what I came up with.

Do you know if Excel is able to do the following (which is a 'compromise' I made on this part in the interests of simplicity):

I want to make the Family Table column for "Length" to be "Custom", but to allow a max length for each height of bearing bar.

I can't figure out how to drive this in Excel.

Maybe you do, or can verify that it's impossible, or not worth doing it in Excel due to the complexity of it.

Also attached is the 1st part in the CC table, and the Family Table in Excel format.

That's the only way I know to show you my data for this CC iPart w/o having to re-create it.

For example:

For all 3/4" bearing bar heights, the tread width has a limit of 28"

For all 1" BB ht, tread wd is limited to 41", etc.

The table of values is in the attached pic, near the bottom w/a red rectangle around it.

How can I use my table and incorporate that, as well as indicate it in the iPart placement dialogue box.

Thanx

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report