Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPart BIG problem

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Closterman
137 Views, 3 Replies

iPart BIG problem

I have a square steel beam iPart with the lenght are a custom key with the name parameter "lenght". The goal are to display lenght in the BOM and if I change the lenght od the beam the BOM can update alone. All work great since INV 4.
Recently, I'v found a lot of error in my BOM. After investigation, I'v discover that when I change the lenght of my beam (edit the part, compute row, change lenght and apply) my lenght parameter are renamed "lenght_1". The BOM don't recognize this new name and display the default iPart size.
If I make a second change, the "lenght_1" rename for "lenght_1_2"......... It's really bad because I have a LOT of this iParts in a LOT of ass'y, linked with a LOT of drawing.....

Also, when I insert the iPart for the first time, INV automaticly rename the parameter "lenght" to "length_1"....

I have joined the iPart with this post, try it !!
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Closterman

Hello, I don't have 8 yet so I cannot try it, however this is just a thought and hopefully someone with more experience will say something. I'm assuming you have referenced the IPart table's length parameter, correct me if I'm wrong, is it not possible to create another sketch, a sectional sketch through the length or on a face that has projected geometry of either end of the beam and create a driven dimension of this length and then reference the driven dimension for the length instead of the parameter? Just a thought Scott
Message 3 of 4
Closterman

Yes Ican make the sketch with the driven dimension but it'S most simple to already use the name parameter in the iPart. I use this on all my iPart since INV 4 whitout problem.
I have summited the bug to ADESK and he already know it ! I'm not the only one in this situation !! Probably (I hope) fix in the SP1. I can't wait to have it !!!
Message 4 of 4
jkhouston

I have had the same thing happen but not for an iPart.

What happened to me was I use a parameter called "LENGTH" as well and when I used this part in a derived part, IV saw the parameter and could not allow a duplicate so it renamed it. My template file had the parameter predefined as "length" so I simply removed it before importing the derived part.

I think that you have the "length" parameter already defined in your template file and it is causing conflicts. You need to remove it from your template file or not import the "length" parameter with your iPart.

HTH

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report