Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invisible JT files in Inventor Pro 2011

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
airfoil02
1659 Views, 5 Replies

Invisible JT files in Inventor Pro 2011

Has anyone else encountered a visibility issue working with JT files in Inventor 2011 (as part of the Factory Design Suite Advanced, if that would make a difference)?

I can output these files without issue all day long. I have proof the process is working as I can view the model in a different viewer OR convert them to 3D PDF in Acrobat.

The problem is when I load the JTs back into Inventor (to create factory assets), the program will not read the geometry. It will, however, read any Inventor-centric items included in the translated file, such as work planes and work axes. The translation report simply states no geometry bodies read (choosing not to embed the report during import makes no difference).

Additionally, it does not matter who created the JT files. I have client-provided JTs and those will not read in either, although likewise, I can view them through the aforementioned means.

I don't mind working with other formats (SAT, STEP, IGES, etc) if I can successfully beg and plead enough to get them, but this particular client wants only JT. Therefore, I'm kind of stuck if that's all they will be willing to provide me.

I did confirm that the JT translator is loading at Inventor startup.

I attempted to attach a JT file, but the forum admin has not added that option. Instead attached is the translation report.

If any of the following is of any use:

• Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
  • 6 GB RAM
  • i7 930 @ 2.80 GHz
  • Inventor Pro 2011 (as part of the Factory Design Suite Advanced)
  • AutoCAD Architecture 2011
  • Navisworks Manage 2011
  • Design Review 2011
  • 3ds Max Design 2011
  • Adobe CS5 Web Premium
  • Acrobat 9 Pro Extended
  • JT Translation options (typical): facets only, ver 8.0, monolithic (all else unselected)

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Mark

Mark
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: airfoil02

I have opened JT files before without problems, have you tried different options on open?

Can you attach one of your .jt files if you zip it?

Message 3 of 6
RogerMollon
in reply to: airfoil02

The issue is that you are only writing facets.  JT files support 3 forms of data: facets, JT BRep, and XT Brep.  Inventor 2011 writes all 3 forms, under options control, but only reads in JT BRep and XT BRep.  So if you write say, facets and XT BRep ot the JT file, then when you read the file back in you'll get the Inventor part (from the XT BRep) you want and the viewing programs will get the facets they want.

What sorts of operations would you like to do on a faceted model after it was read into Inventor?

I hope this helps,

Roger Mollon
Forge - Strategic Tech Consultant - Novi
Autodesk, Inc. - Retired
Message 4 of 6
airfoil02
in reply to: RogerMollon

Thank you, Roger!

Could not for the life of me come to a conclusion on my own. Probably too much target fixation and not enough sunlight.

You not only solved my issue, but a collaborative-wide one as well.

We are engaged in a plant design project utilizing the new Factory Design Suite Advanced. Many stakeholders from all over the globe. Many types of para-modelers from Autodesk to Bentley. My job is largely in process layout, however, I have to integrate complete as-delivered assemblies from all of these stakeholders into our model. The architects and P&ID folks are Bentley-based. They want JT for their integration workflow. Other stakeholders are using various versions of Inventor and there's at least one Solidworks bunch in the lot. All I need are "space models" or shells, albeit accurate representations, to create factory assets from and drop into the layout.

At some point I'll be doing some routed system work with these models, connecting everything together. But, the whole of the P&ID work is coming from elsewhere.

Thanks again for your timely assistance! Greatly appreciated!

Mark
Message 5 of 6
airfoil02
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks for the offer and taking the time to assist, John.

See Roger Mollon's response below. Turns out it was merely an output settings issue.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Mark
Message 6 of 6
nstalker
in reply to: RogerMollon

It would be nice if Inventor gave you a message like this when you tried to open a format of JT that Inventor does not read, rather than just proceeding to open the drawing and nothing is there or there are parts missing that you did not know about.

Perhaps it can do this if I change a setting.  Can I be notified of this?  If there is a setting I still feel that by default you should be notified whenever something does not translate with the option to turn off such notifications.  Otherwise I risk designing something that could have an interference.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report