Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invert selection for sketched patterned elements

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
timdown73
2315 Views, 7 Replies

Invert selection for sketched patterned elements

Is there a way to invert my selection so that I can subtract or extrude the cicles instead of the area around them?  As is now, I have to select every circle to subtract them from the shape. See image below.  Thanks.

invert selection.JPG

-Tim U.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10875H CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz>Memory: 32.0 GB Ram
Op Sys: Windows 10 professional
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mrattray
in reply to: timdown73

No, I don't believe there is a way. However, if you had made this as a feature pattern instead of a sketch pattern, you wouldn't have so many profiles to deal with.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 8
timdown73
in reply to: mrattray

Good point.  I'll keep that in mind.  In this case though it's nice to have the sketch dimensions to work with but I suppose if I kept the sketch visible I could still use them.  Thanks mrattray.

-Tim U.
Message 4 of 8
mrattray

If by "to work with" you mean use as parameters, don't forget that pattern spacing and occurences are usable parameters.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 8
JDMather

@timdown73 wrote:

... it's nice to have the sketch dimensions to work with but I suppose if I kept the sketch visible I could still use them. 

To emphasize the point already made - you can use those same dimensions you show in your sketch in the Feature Pattern as parameters.

I just had a student do something similar but had other features in the wrong order that would have required starting over.  The solution was to do the feature New Solid and then the Feature Pattern, trim the pattern (which you might not need to do in your case) with the Split command and then finally Combine - Cut.
The multi-body technique saved a lot of rework that would have been involved in starting over.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 8
timdown73
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for all the help/input guys. I appreciate it.  (Invert selection would still be nice though):smileywink:

-Tim U.
Message 7 of 8
Rory_M

If they're through holes you could keep the selection you have and extrude as "intersect" rather than "cut".

Rory

Message 8 of 8
timdown73
in reply to: Rory_M

Rory_M - You hit the nail on the head.  That's what I needed.  I don't use that option as much as I should.   Thanks man!

-Tim U.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report