Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
dodrain
Message 11 of 21 (644 Views)

Re: InventorViewCompute.exe in inventor 2012

04-19-2012 02:35 AM in reply to: andreasenv

Same problem here...  Mismanagment of memory-issues by Autodesk? 

Employee
Shiva_Sundaram
Message 12 of 21 (635 Views)

04-19-2012 11:04 AM in reply to: andreasenv

Hi,

I guess some more questions around this to help understand the issue:

1. How large is the model? i.e. number of parts/bodies/occurrences?

2. Do you have a 32-bit or 64-bit OS? 

3. How much RAM do you have?

4. Do you have many drawing views computing (lots of InventorViewCompute.exe's running in parallel?)

5. How did you measure page faults? Soft or hard? Soft may be ok. Hard would affect performance

Usually, Hard disk thrashing happens if the OS needs more memory than whats available in RAM. 

Again, if you can even send me a subset of the model that would help identify what the issue. Without the actual dataset it would be very difficult to guess whats happening. All datasets are kept confidential of course :smileyhappy:

-Shiva Sundaram

Inventor Development

Contributor
dimitri
Message 13 of 21 (542 Views)

09-06-2012 09:22 AM in reply to: dodrain

I have had the same problem here and still no fix. It happened in a very large assembly with 8GB of RAM. Monitoring the process I could see that the memory was full and the system started paging. There was 5 different views and they were updating (that green mark was placed). 

As the assembly was very large, we reduced it by transforming subassemblies in only fourteen IPT files, but it was still large with the total amount of 315 MB. Ok, my old notebook Precision M90 (Windows 7-64 + Quadro FX 2700M + 4GB RAM) do not even open that assembly... But the desktop described before on this message was much more powerful Windows 7-64 + ATI HD 6870 + 8GB RAM and opened beatifully. But the designer was advised that the InventorViewCompute.exe for each view should be closed manually after closing the drawing or quiting Inventor, that is because we have seen that those proccess remain running after Inventor is closed when the system is paging.

And yes, the designer got that device to close processes manually because his desktop was freezing all the time due to the paging proccess...

Employee
Shiva_Sundaram
Message 14 of 21 (521 Views)

09-09-2012 08:42 PM in reply to: dimitri

Hi Dimitri,

Would it be possible for you to share your dataset (parts/assemblies) with us. All data shared with Autodesk will be kept confidential and not shared outside of Autodesk. You can zip it and send it to me at

sundarsATautodeskDOTcom

or I can setup a secure ftp site for you if you like.

We can try to reproduce the problem here and see what's causing the InventorViewCompute processes to keep running. We make every delibrate attempt in the software to stop those processes if Inventor is shut down and my  guess is that perhaps the processes are caught up doing something computationally intensive that they dont stop until they are done.

How long did you wait before terminating those processes?

If you can send us the dataset, we would be very happy to investigate it and would of course help us solve this for everyone in general.

Thanks and much appreciate it.

-Shiva Sundaram

Inventor Development

Autodesk, Inc.

Contributor
dimitri
Message 15 of 21 (511 Views)

09-10-2012 09:42 AM in reply to: Shiva_Sundaram

hi Shiva Sundaram,

I upgraded the system RAM to 16GB and Windows stopped paging on HD. Now I can see CPU using all of the 8 cores by 65%, which is good (it was 0~1% before the upgrade). I also could measure the time InventorViewCompute.exe takes to resolve the views, it took about 30 min. That is the time it takes to resolve, no matter the drawings are openned or not.

The files are very large, even if I zip them. So, could you configure an FTP so that I can upload it?

Employee
Shiva_Sundaram
Message 16 of 21 (508 Views)

09-10-2012 10:23 AM in reply to: dimitri

Hi Dimitri,

Can I take a raincheck on the dataset. I want to investigate this issue first with some very large datasets and try to see if I can reproduce this. If I can, then I may not need your dataset. If I cannot reproduce it, I will ask you for it.

I would need your email address though to create the FTP site. Can you please send me a private email to sundarsATautodeskDOTcom.

Thanks for your help.

-Shiva Sundaram

Inventor Development

Autodesk, Inc.

Contributor
benemt
Message 17 of 21 (447 Views)

12-26-2012 11:35 AM in reply to: Shiva_Sundaram

Was this resolved?  I am experiencing similiar problems: extremely slow drawing compute time, InventorViewCompute.exe lingering hafter Inventor.exe is gone.

Valued Contributor
machiel.veldkamp
Message 18 of 21 (413 Views)

01-11-2013 06:55 AM in reply to: benemt

So... I'm updating 29 views and my PC has been running for almost 2 whole days now..
Inventorviewupdate is 3.2TB large now (page faults)

I'm guessing that can be solved in the future, right Autodesk?

Capture.PNG

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Employee
Shiva_Sundaram
Message 19 of 21 (402 Views)

01-14-2013 09:41 AM in reply to: machiel.veldkamp

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay in responding. Yes. We are still looking at this issue.

One question I have for Machiel - is Inventor still alive and the views are computing? Or did you shut down Inventor and the view computes are still chugging away.

Update:

I see the image above still showing Inventor.exe running. This is a different issue and probably datasets specific - Could this be a very large dataset with many surface bodies or composite bodies? Are there shrinkwrap parts in the dataset?

thanks

-Shiva Sundaram

Inventor Development

Valued Contributor
machiel.veldkamp
Message 20 of 21 (390 Views)

01-14-2013 11:25 AM in reply to: Shiva_Sundaram

Hi Shiva,

Well.. no actually I left in on in the weekend and I saw that the PDF was created at saturday 17:00 PM. 
Sidenote: my PC rebooted afterwards cuz my PC wasn't logged in and no programms were started. 

I have to admit: the idw I was exporting is a big one! its 10 sheets with on every sheet a ton of details. But then again.... My PC chould be able to handle that. 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.