Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor??????

40 REPLIES 40
Message 1 of 41
Anonymous
4009 Views, 40 Replies

Inventor??????

Is it true that Solidworks has a greater market share

Is it also true that you can run larger assemblies much faster in soildworks

As our company has just folded because we could not get drawings out fast
enough

One of my mates tells me that Solidworks can produce over 200 drawings in a
week is this true

Has anyone here used Solidworks....where can i get a copy
40 REPLIES 40
Message 21 of 41
Dave_L
in reply to: Anonymous

Its what Solidworks calls configurations....and they have had it for years and years and .........

(Not picking sides, just stating facts)
Message 22 of 41
kgrunawalt

Dave,
Well, The LOD Reps aren't configurations either. Like design views, they don't alter the model. For example, they don't affect mass or the BOM. They provide levels of detail for display, export, and memory footprint. They allow engineers to slice up a huge assembly in different ways for working and documenting -- without affecting the design itself. R11 does provide iAssemblies too, which do provide design variations. Just clarifying!
Katrin Grunawalt /Autodesk/
Message 23 of 41
Dave_L

Well, I am REALLY looking forward to that! Sounds better than what I remember of SW2003.
Message 24 of 41
Anonymous

Solidworks lightweight components are not configs. Unless you just call everything a config.

It’s more like a switch. When on, only a subset of the part is loaded into an assy. A subset that allows assy type operations to be performed, like mates and measure, but uses less memory per part.

Feathers…. Haha... Metermaid
Message 25 of 41
kgrunawalt

Actually, Inventor has selectively loaded data for years. For example, when you open an assembly, only subcomponent display information is loaded. More design/brep data is loaded as needed by commands. This is invisible to the user (no feathers).

Katrin Grunawalt /Autodesk/
Message 26 of 41
Anonymous

I do remember that being one of the early selling points. Or at least something about dynamic loading and 10,000 part assemblies.

If you have 10 partially loaded subs with 1000 parts each… and activate one of the subs to work on one part… are all 1000 then loaded?

SolidEdge v17 came out with some kind of automatic simplification of detail. Creating an assy part config hiding internal features, boxing up shapes and such. To make a smaller part to load. When I hear LOD, that’s what I think of.

All tricks to make the computer faster than physically possible. I like the sound of the part file being smaller. I just want a fast 800 part assy.
Message 27 of 41
Anonymous

>automatic simplification of detail.

In R11, we have the bounding box simplification in Derived assembly where you can simplify a complex assembly into a bounding box and add other features to it. I understand more needs to be done here but it's a start. Thanks.
Message 28 of 41
Dave_L

Judging by your comment, I think you misread the previous threads.

What ever though, looks like 11 is going to be great.
Message 29 of 41
Anonymous

No, you stated something as fact that is false.

In SW, you can create a simplified config of a part to use in an assy. But that is not the same as their Lightweight Components. Is'nt that what you were talking about when you said:
“They have had light weight for years and years.“

I’m not going to look it up, but I thought SW’s LW was relatively new.
Message 30 of 41
Anonymous

Automation is almost always a double edge sword. Hopefully by the time you’ve perfected it... computers will be powerful enough to not need it. Hehe.

I’m still curious if working one part within a sub loads all the parts in that sub.
Without the feathers… I can’t tell.
Message 31 of 41
Dave_L

You said:

"Solidworks lightweight components are not configs. Unless you just call everything a config."

No one said lightweights were configs????? I was on SW for years diemaker 🙂

Lets not get ugly now.
Message 32 of 41
Anonymous

I'm not goig to play you said-i said...

as long as the facts are fact now.
Message 33 of 41
Dave_L

I am glad you see the real 'facts' now, nice to see when someone admits he was wrong.

BTW, you started the 'I said, you said' game... I just hit the ball back because YOUR facts were messed up. You probably just need a good nap.

This thread needs more cow bell.
Message 34 of 41
kgrunawalt

I can't tell you what actions cause which pieces to load. I do know that R11 has improvements in loading avoidance during various operations. These are separate from the LOD feature. So, while Inventor was built to load as needed, there was room for further optimization. I think this is most dramatic on the Drawing side, but Assembly loading has improved too.
Message 35 of 41
Anonymous

kgrunawalt wrote

The R11 LOD representation is not the same as the lightweight feature. (snip)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply From: Dave_L

Its what Solidworks calls configurations....and they have had it for years and years and .........

(Not picking sides, just stating facts)

JD, you are mixing up two different statements. I never said that Lightweights are Configurations.... Period! I repeat PERIOD! Try reading the whole thread again. If you still don't get...just move on.

I said LOD was like SW configurations, on which I was corrected, and to which I said basically, Great!! Bring on 11.

Man, mentioning the compitition in a positive light and the attacks begin.
Message 37 of 41
Anonymous

Are you using the web side or the news reader? Looks like a direct response to me. Could be you just replied to the wrong post causing confusion. Anyhow everything is cleared up, time to let this one die.
Message 38 of 41
Anonymous

This is what I saw. Sorry for the confusion.
Message 39 of 41
tsreagan

HAHAHA.

I can produce 100 drawings a day in inventor 2013 with ILOGIC.

Beat that soliddoesntworks.

ARC

Message 40 of 41
JDMather
in reply to: tsreagan

Why pull up a 7 yr old thread?

You think time has stood still for SWx?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report