Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor won't sweep or build pipe run

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
brendeho
3255 Views, 15 Replies

Inventor won't sweep or build pipe run

Ideally, I tried the tube and pipe run to build this segment, and cannot select the route from the 3D sketch.

This route was based off of a 3D sketch made from included geometry from another part.

Tried sweeping too - and get error that the sweeping operation did not produce a meaningful result.

But I don't get the self intersecting error.

All this is is a .250 OD and .180ID profile that needs to be run through the path.

Untitled.jpg

I included the part file.

Any help is appreciated, and I thank you in advance.

Tags (4)
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
brendeho
in reply to: brendeho

Tried the frame generator, and got a self-intersecting error.  The solution to this issue should be easier. 

Message 3 of 16
brendeho

This is the part from which the 3D sketch is based on.

Filesize too large for attachment. =(

Message 4 of 16
JDMather

FInd the red End of Part marker in the browser.
Drag the red EOP to the top of the browser hiding all features.

Save the file with the EOP in this rolled up state.

In Windows Explorer right click on the file name and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
Attach the resulting *.zip file here.

BTW - file size is reduced in exactly the same way in SolidWorks and Creo (formerly Pro/E).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 16
brendeho
in reply to: JDMather

Here it is - I appreciate the help.

Message 6 of 16

Problem with this......the plane and thus the sketch you are attempting to sweep along the spline is not located on the end of the spline. Note the difference in the color of the spline from dark purple in front of the plane as opposed to the portion of the spline that's behind the plane.

This is just looking at it, I haven't tried correcting it or sweeping it, but being a very common mistake, it's one of the first things I look for.

If I get a moment or two, I'll try and correct it and let you know if it swept.

sweep.PNG

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 7 of 16

The workplane from which the sketch is derived from was built by placing a workpoint on the endpoint of the 3D sketch. I then picked the 3D sketch line to make the plane perpendicular to the endpoint.

Thanks for the help.

Also, It appears I can get the sweep to work if I split the 3D sketch into parts, and work with smaller points. It just doesn't want to do the whole thing at once.  

Message 8 of 16

Jim, I don't think that is the problem.  I Project Geometry'ed the 3D Sketch in the XY plane to see if that would sweep the profile and it did work for me then which implies (to my knowledge) that the profile and sweep path are connected.

INV 2012 SP1
Windows 7 64 Bit
ATI FirePro V5800
14.0 GB RAM
Message 9 of 16

The other issue I just noticed is the sketch profiles are not constrained on the centerpoint, otherwise they'd be purple as well as opposed to the light blue showing they are not fully constrained.

And yes, you are correct, I'm seeing the same deal with a plane I created on the end point as well.

Just wish I had more time to look into this for you.

You also might want to verify and "kinks" in the spline profile. I noticed it's not a simple spline, its got a few joggles in it.

This could also be an issue if there is a spot in it that would cause the swept profile to in essence bend or sweep into itself. Try and section the spline and see if there are any abrupt twists and turns that can only be seen up close.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 10 of 16
cwhetten

It looks like there is something strange about that surface edge.  Possibly some kind of translation issue.  I tried several approaches to get the sweep to work, most failed.

One attempt worked, but it isn't ideal.  I used Extend Surface, selected the edge in question, and set it to 10mm.  For some reason 1mm didn't work.  I then used the new edge of the extended feature as the sweep path and it worked just fine.

Obviously this is an approximation, since the sweep doesn't lie exactly on the original edge.  But perhaps it may work for what you need, or maybe it will give some insight.  The file is attached.  Drag the EOP below Sweep1 to see what I did.

Message 11 of 16
JDMather

When I combine these two files into an assembly the wireframe appears to be scaled from the fuselage file.

Is that correct?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 12 of 16
JDMather

Did you get this figured out?

Message 13 of 16
brendeho

That's correct, The sweep path is based off the projected edge of the fuselage canopy.

Haven't quite figured out the exact solution, but an approximate solution has been proposed earlier in the thread.

This is one of those weird quirks, where the sweep path joggs a little, but it isn't apparent. It *should* theoretically be smooth enough to work, but doesn't.

Thanks JD.

Message 14 of 16
JDMather

I was curious if you really wanted it scaled in both directions?
I don't know what the application is - but I was expecting scale in only one direction.

I was going to try the Sweep in both SolidWorks and Creo (formerly Pro/E) but wanted to make sure of the design intent before spening any time on the problem.

Message 15 of 16
brendeho

I believe the original file was scaled down 50% from a "two seater" to a "one seater" fuselage.

Is that what you're thinking?

Message 16 of 16
JDMather

....that wouldn't make sense would it?
The distance from front to back shouldn't change - only side-to-side.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report