Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor without Vault?

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
jshipley
2860 Views, 27 Replies

Inventor without Vault?

Does anyone use Inventor without (some sort of) Vault?

I'm talking about a workgroup with at least 5 people or so.

We are starting to implement Inventor here and know that we need to implement some sort of Vault system, so we are gathering information on some different systems.  Currently we are just saving the files 'on the network', which we know is not a good long term solution.

I just want to see if most people use some sort of Vault system.

Thanks,

Jim

27 REPLIES 27
Message 21 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: jshipley

Three points of caution.

First, there is a signficant escalation on the amount of technical expertise you need to install and maintain.

Second, Adesk assumes the server running Vault is exclusive, meaning it only runs Vault. If you have multiple use servers then you almost get blind stares from Autodesk. It shows in the setup of Vault that no other server uses are anticipated.

Third, the idea of Vault is great, but the implementation is cumbersome. You will be inundated with warnings and error messages that make absolutely no sense, and provide little clue as to how to resolve 'the situation'.

I.e. you will partially get rid of one set of problems and replace those with another set of problems that may be more difficult to resolve.

Message 22 of 28
Bplugem
in reply to: Anonymous

Our design group is young and small (3 engineers) and our data management needs are growing.  Not using Vault, but concurrent file usage is not an issue so we haven't seen the need for the checkin/out process.

We do need, however, a stronger part numbering/revision and file organization policy as our current "one big network folder" system is quickly reaching its useful limits.  Does anyone know where I can learn about setting up and managing a good system like this, sans-Vault?

Thanks!

Message 23 of 28
blair
in reply to: Bplugem

No Vault, only one user here, plus I work at home as well. I sync my work and home files and can never be sure exactly what I may end up working on at home and what files it may require.

Been doing it this way since Inventor V4.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 24 of 28
IgorMir

That gave me some ideas... Instead of cleaning the house up I should buy a new one every time the old one needs vacuuming!Smiley Happy

No Vault here either but the file system deployed is rock solid, logical and easy to follow. I recon people should exercise Discipline in their work practice first and not to rely on some "magic"  of Vault. It is just not there.

Regards,

Igor. 

jshipley wrote:

Thanks guys for the info.  It sounds like Vault is the way to go for the long haul.  Knowing us, if we don't use it, things will be a mess - as they are with all of the AutoCAD files.

Thanks,

Jim

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 25 of 28
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi Bplugem,

Send me an email and I'll review your setup:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/p/contact.html

I won't promise to have a magic bullet, but I'm certain I can provide some pointers on setting up and managing a good system for your situation.

Hope the helps.

Best of luck with all of your Inventor pursuits,

Curtis

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 26 of 28
Anonymous

Message 27 of 28
jletcher

Don't do it. I hate vault more than anything it makes things so hard to do anything. I will never use it.

Message 28 of 28
Breeze104

I started out using Vault and I am only one user.  The only reason I quit using it is because it was causing lots of issues with all of my iAssemblies not auto solving when child parts were changed, but they seemed to have made strides to improve that function in 2013, but anything before that...if you use lots of iParts and iAsseblies its not worh the hassle.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report