Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

geoff
Message 1 of 8 (2,487 Views)

Inventor will not start

2487 Views, 7 Replies
02-17-2010 07:07 PM
When I try to start Inventor 2010 the hour glass icon appears for about 3 seconds then it goes and nothing else happens, Inventor doesn't start. I then tried Autocad 2010 and the Licence Transfer Utility with the same result, nothing happens.
I used Inventor yesterday and all was normal, the problem has just appeared.
I uninstalled and reinstalled the software but this did not fix the problem. All the other applications on my computer work OK.
Has anyone experienced this problem? Is there a solution?
*Expert Elite*
Mark_Wigan
Message 2 of 8 (2,487 Views)

Re: Inventor will not start

02-17-2010 10:10 PM in reply to: geoff
it sounds like you have a corrupt inventor profile on your user login. this happened a lot when vista was first being used moreso couple years back. i had to deal with it twice on my own workstation.

what is your operating system? if vista or windows 7 you can rename your roaming profile folder so that inventor cannot see it and when you next start inventor it will create the folders anew.

i am going from memory from a year or more ago so there will be more accurate info and perhaps the actual folder path for your operating system noted within this forum if you search the topic.

-mark.
best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if Solved - it may help others)

PDSU 2015 Windows 8.1, 64bit.

Contributor
mikegore
Message 3 of 8 (2,487 Views)

03-23-2010 01:10 PM in reply to: geoff
Has this issue ever been resolved by Autodesk ? I'm using Windows 7 Pro 64bit, that was upgraded from Vista Pro 64bit.

I have to delete (or rename) my roaming profile at least once every two weeks when this happens to me. Is there a hot fix or anything I can do to make this stop? It only happens to my IV 2009 for Routed Systems.

Thanks,
Mike Gore Edited by: mikegore on Mar 23, 2010 8:11 PM
*Expert Elite*
Mark_Wigan
Message 4 of 8 (2,487 Views)

03-23-2010 08:27 PM in reply to: geoff
this seems to be a bit random, and seems to me (i am not an I.T. guru) that is more likely to do with a corrupt user profile on the computer. there seems to be no consistent reason for various people seeing this at random occasions.

i have had it happen on almost identical workstations, where one sees it and the other does not.

i have seen the problem (and work colleagues computer) return after a full reformat of hard drive and reinstall of Operating System and inventor software with all Antivirus turned off.

i have seen the problem go away after a 'rename' of the roaming document inventor folder, sometimes to return once or twice and then never again!

it is interesting that you say it occurs when you use routed systems functions... this could be a clue but i think this is one for the autodesk programmers and microsoft to work out.

i did suspect at one time that vista and windows 7 using "home group" and "library folders" to network in home office environments, that occasionally when programs need to write data back to public document folders etc that the Operating System sometimes saw the public folders (or other folders that users allowed to become part of the 'home group' network) as read only (write access not allowed) that caused this or other related issues that we have to deal with.

maybe if you could configure your computer to NOT use such networking folders or minimise the use of such, and see if there is any change?

-mark.
best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if Solved - it may help others)

PDSU 2015 Windows 8.1, 64bit.

sanat_tx23_m9l
Message 5 of 8 (1,865 Views)

04-05-2012 06:57 AM in reply to: Mark_Wigan

I have experienced this too. I try to rename roaming folder but it can't be renamed. What should I do? I am using Windows 7 32 bit with inventor 2011 installed. It was working well until yesterday I cant open it.

Valued Mentor
RayFeiler
Message 6 of 8 (1,860 Views)

04-05-2012 07:10 AM in reply to: sanat_tx23_m9l

You will have to login as a different administrator in order to do anything to the profile that is causing you your problems.

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014 64-Bit

Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Valued Mentor
RayFeiler
Message 7 of 8 (1,856 Views)

04-05-2012 07:21 AM in reply to: mikegore

Profile degeneration is more of a Microsoft issue than anything else. So hopefully Windows 8 will be better. There are steps one can take to slow the deterioration of one's profile. One of the things I always do is create a dedicated folder for temporary files and then set my Windows environment variables to that folder. Why you ask, because it is easier to find and I clean it out daily. You will be shocked at how much garbage is in there after a days work.

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014 64-Bit

Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
sanat_tx23_m9l
Message 8 of 8 (1,848 Views)

04-05-2012 07:56 AM in reply to: geoff

Is there anything I can do to repair this problem without renaming my roaming folder? Because I am afraid that it would damage my other program that used my romaing folder.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.