Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Weld Analysis

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
balajig8
375 Views, 2 Replies

Inventor Weld Analysis

Hi guys,

I am a student in TU-Munich.

I have tested the weldament option in Inventor and i am little confused with the Contact options.

So basically,

1.I created a small assembly and looked into the stress and deflection.

2.compared it without weld assembly.

please have a look at the document attached and please comment your ideas/views.

I have given a small gap(0.5mm) between the two parts.

I did not use the weldamane option in my cases.I constructed manually by extrude command.

Thanks

Balaji

Shaken not Stirred.
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
salariua
in reply to: balajig8

Sometimes I derive the whole assembly and add fillets to simulate welds (the welds are never straight anyway so fillet would do). You then run the FEA on a part rather than an assembly.

In the simulation window what value are you having on the Contacts-Tolerance ?

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 3 of 3
laptop_geek
in reply to: balajig8

What are you hoping to gain from this study? If you're looking to design/analyze the weld then simple hand calcs to check for horizontal shear would be the simplest and easiest way to get a good answer. If you are trying to prove or test something you have some modeling errors that will lead to incorrect results.

As far as the contacts go: I normally use a bonded contact between the parts and the weld, then I'll use a surface contact between the two surfaces of the parts that I want to touch but not penetrate (this would apply between teh rectangular bar and the elliptical tube). If I don't care about the parts penetrating I will use a "Free" contact to keep the solve time short. This is all coming from Simulation Mechanical and I'm not sure if inventor has the surface contact available.

I hope this has helped, if not please give us some more information about what you're trying to do so we can help more. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report