Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Active Contributor
michaeldavis7418
Message 21 of 56 (16,604 Views)

Re: Inventor vs SolidWorks - Which is better.

12-05-2012 08:32 AM in reply to: JDMather

not 100% sure but I believe it's a translation problem?

but I think it's suppose to be ADDA Drafter Certification

Michael Davis
Charlotte, NC

Work ~ Inventor Ultimate 2013 SP1.1
Win 7 64bit ~ i7 20gb
Nvidia Quadro FX 1700

Home ~ Inventor Ultimate 2013 SP1.1
Win 7 64bit i7 - 16gb
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT 1GB
240g Kingston HyperX SSD
Contributor
mikeweb74
Message 22 of 56 (16,578 Views)

12-05-2012 09:31 AM in reply to: JDMather

Oops, I meant Certified Drafter, ADDA, American Design & Drafting Association. I started using solid works before Inventor was even thought of. Inventor has to many canned routines like Solid Edge that tie your hands. SolidWorks gives me much much more freedom to design especially in top down and in context. The sketcher in inventor always makes you project geometry or does it automatically when dimension  to a model edge, so you end up with extra yellow lines in every sketch and it lets you leave empty sketches very confusing. SolidWorks will not let you leave empty sketches and you can dimension and constrains to model geometry with out it projecting extra geometry sketch to the sketch plane. There many other things that SolidWorks does better and simpler such as assembly mates, in context part editing, Sheet metal. In Inventor have to create presentation file to create exploded views, this makes creates a 4th file type (*.ipn) maintain. Not mention configurations not views or display states........I can go on and on.

Michael Webster, CD, CSWP
Purdue SWT, South Bend
South Bend, IN

Home/Work: Dell Precision 6700M
Win 7 64bit Pro
i7-3820QM 8 GB
Nvidia Quadro 3000M 2GB
Inventor 2014.
*Pro
sbixler
Message 23 of 56 (16,550 Views)

12-05-2012 11:01 AM in reply to: mikeweb74

mikeweb74 wrote:

........I can go on and on.

And you are... Do you have a question or problem with Inventor that we can help with?  Or expertise to offer?  That's what this forum is for.

Active Contributor
michaeldavis7418
Message 24 of 56 (16,547 Views)

12-05-2012 11:07 AM in reply to: sbixler

it's just like Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge ...everyone has their likes ...and mine is IV (and Dodge)

Michael Davis
Charlotte, NC

Work ~ Inventor Ultimate 2013 SP1.1
Win 7 64bit ~ i7 20gb
Nvidia Quadro FX 1700

Home ~ Inventor Ultimate 2013 SP1.1
Win 7 64bit i7 - 16gb
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT 1GB
240g Kingston HyperX SSD
Contributor
robmccune
Message 25 of 56 (16,523 Views)

12-05-2012 02:15 PM in reply to: michaeldavis7418

I would say SW for the simple reason that it has configurations. No other tool is more used where I work.  Sketches are a good second place.  The only thing I like better about INV is how it has buttons for sketch constraints.

Contributor
mikeweb74
Message 26 of 56 (16,468 Views)

12-06-2012 05:34 AM in reply to: michaeldavis7418

I guess I'm SolidWorks (Chevy) guy.  I did not mean to bash IV or offend any one. But autodesk has done there best to copy SolidWoks, but Inventor is far less user friendly.

Michael Webster, CD, CSWP
Purdue SWT, South Bend
South Bend, IN

Home/Work: Dell Precision 6700M
Win 7 64bit Pro
i7-3820QM 8 GB
Nvidia Quadro 3000M 2GB
Inventor 2014.
*Pro
ampster
Message 27 of 56 (16,453 Views)

12-06-2012 06:19 AM in reply to: mikeweb74

remind us yet again,

What is your issue with Inventor?

Any factual statements you can make about actually using Inventor?

*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 28 of 56 (16,440 Views)

12-06-2012 06:43 AM in reply to: mikeweb74

I am a chevy guy as well.  Specifically Camaros.  I have owned 3 of them.  But with that said, I rented a Dodge Challenger for a week and that car is so technilogically advanced and awesome to drive!!!!

So, that kind of patterns my life in the last year.  Was a SW/Chevy guy and now an Inventor/Mopar guy?  :smileywink:

Maybe!!!!  As far as configurations, when I was talking to my VAR he told me that because SW came out with configurations first, Autodesk quickly came out with iparts and iassemblies to try and compete.  I found that interesting.

I have been using Inventor for a year now and while I am becoming more and more comfortable with it, I can say more convincingly now that Inventor while I feel it is a decent program, still falls short when it comes to SW.  Don't get me wrong, SW had it's own issues.  I have come to the conclusion after spending time with three modeling softwares (SW, Pro-E and Inventor) that Inventor is a happy medium between SW and Pro-E with SW on top.

I am now using Inventor and have to make the best of it learning it and applying it.  I am hoping by being part of the Elite experts group I can have some input to make some suggestions into the software that I once experienced with SW that might be benificial.  Maybe this is a pipe dream, but it nevers hurts to try.  :smileyhappy:

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
Inventor Professional 2014
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Valued Contributor
divingdoug
Message 29 of 56 (16,420 Views)

12-06-2012 07:21 AM in reply to: sprayvent

What a fun question.

I started with AutoCad way back in version8 or something like that (back in the 90's)  Autocad became the de-facto standard for 2-D computer drafting for 2 reasons.  It worked good and it could easily be pirated. I loved it.

As 3D started to immerge, Autodesk tried MTD.  What a stumble that was.  Then, they kind of left it hanging and created Inventor.  What was really asinine is that they were trying to run two 3D applications that were not even compatible with each other.

Somewhere in there, I have to admit I don't know when, Some of the other guys came out and starting making some really nice "mid-level" 3D systems, SolidWorks, SolidEdge, etc.  I say mid-level since compared to Pro-E and other mainstream 3D apps of the time, there was a huge cost and feature difference.

One trend that I have seen is that for the most part, no on has yet to put all the 2D drafting features of Autocad into a 3D modeling application.  You would think Autodesk would have considered this somewhere along the line.

In 2000, the trade journal, Desktop Engineering did a series of articles that did non-biased comparisons of all the mid-level packages of the time including IV, SW, SE and others I cannot remember.  I think there were about seven articles in all comparing like 6 or 7 packages.  SW came out ahead in all but one area and this is what drove me to select SW as the first 3D application for the company I had just started with.   It ended up doing exactly what we needed and there were never any complaints over the years.

Fast Forward to 2010.  We had just been bought out by a fortune 250 company, were forced to migrate to Inventor and I have been cussing ever since.

I have yet to find a tool in Inventor that does not take at LEAST twice as many mouse clicks as the equivalent tool in Inventor.  And some tools simply don't exist.  You have to create workarounds.

The kicker with this, I never received any training in SW. It was so intuitive, I never needed to.

I have received training for IV and still struggle with the complex navigation of some of the commands.  Probably the most aggravating feature is the mates.  Compared to SW, it's like trying to eat peas with a shovel.

I won't say IV doesn't have a couple nice tools but I don't buy a car only because it has nice door handles and the speedometer needle is blue.

I would really like to see a new series of articles by the guys as Desktop Engineering or another third party but with today's politically correct climate and the power of advertising dollars, it will probably never happen.  Too bad there is not a Consumers Reports for the technical world.

There was a study done earlier this year that showed IV topped out in all features but turns out this study was sponsored by Autodesk so that was nothing but a blatant advertisement disguised as a real comparison.

Doug

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 30 of 56 (16,413 Views)

12-06-2012 07:32 AM in reply to: divingdoug

divingdoug wrote

What a fun question.

In 2000, the trade journal, Desktop Engineering did a series of articles that did non-biased comparisons .

I would really like to see a new series of articles by the guys as Desktop Engineering or another third party ...

There is no such thing as "non-biased comparisons". 
If anyone tries to write such a comparison I will have fun ripping them apart (from any angle - I don't care about the software used).

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015-SP1 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!