Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor VS Solidworks...too funny

30 REPLIES 30
Message 1 of 31
pdnm1
917 Views, 30 Replies

Inventor VS Solidworks...too funny

I know, I know, we've all seen the posts on here that try and compare these 2, but honestly, I have both here and the other day got an email from SW touting all the new features thier 2009 release is going to have in it.

So I took a look and they had 5 demo videos showing these "cutting edge" features.

The main highlights:

1. When in an assebly, you can specify the mating faces and features ahead of time and then as you mouse over these features a "x-ray" type bubble appears around the mouse and shows you these features that are hidden by the solid model which now allows you to select those features. Ummm, one could just as easily rotate the view or even envoke wireframe???

2. More than one user can now work in the same assembly at the same time but on different parts of course....ummmm hasn't that always been the case with Inventor, CADDS5, Pro/E, etc?

3. A user can now add the actual value to a parameter in sketch mode upon creation....again, hasn't Inventor been doing that since like Rev 3...if not before?

4. User can now take a dimension in a drawing and move it to another feature and it'll update. Been there, done that with Inventor for years.

5. Same as above but for chamfer dims....ummm ditto

6. User can invoke stress on bolted connections to verify abilities...again, been there, done that with Inventor.

All in all I was pretty entertained by these cutting edge features now available on SW's upcoming release. At this rate, SW might be up to Inventor 2009's abilities by say 2012 or 2013?

Another tidbit, a good friend of mine is currently going thru his employer pulling out Inventor and installing SW. He highly recommended not to do such, they did it anyways and now, 6 months into the change over, they are kicking themselves due to the fact they are not able to do all the stuff they were used to doing with Inventor. SW just doesn't have the abilities yet for some of the things they were doing (mainly deals with file conversions from other CAD software). All I know is he's sitting back and laughing saying "I told you so...."
30 REPLIES 30
Message 21 of 31
pdnm1
in reply to: pdnm1

Ken,
I think you're missing my points here. I'm attempting to show that SW is not, that's NOT, on the cutting edge as they claim. That these "new" features may be "new" to SW, but they are NOT new to other CAD programs out there.

SW is always claiming they are far superior to Inventor. I know, I get the sales calls once a month. When I ask them if SW can do some of the things Inventor can and things that I use, they usually respond with: "I'm sure it can, let us do a demo. Honestly I don't think any CAD package can do what you're saying"...or "there's no way Inventor does that".

I just about hear it daily here from any new hires we bring in with SW experience....it's nothing but SW can do this and that or SW does it like this so Inventor's way of doing it is wrong".

If you listened to these people, you'd swear SW can butter your toast each morning.
Message 22 of 31
Cschmidt

What's new SW 2009 = 171 pages
What's new IV 2009 = 20 pages
Message 23 of 31
kellings

I don't understand why it is that when people switch to something else that they keep coming back here. You have made your choice and you feel that it is the better choice. Why would you put any effort into anything that you aren't going to use?

Is it because there is no activity in the discussion groups for the different packages? Are there many IV users that visit the other discussion boards and make themselves look like jerks spewing pro Inventor statements?

Do you feel like you need to come back to be able to justify the switch? I don't really see you adding any value to the conversation. Wether you are right or wrong, the people here are using Inventor.

Kevin
Message 24 of 31
mflayler2

Subtract the fact that the SW reads like a manual and has steps compared to IV's compact approach and I would say content is about even. I go so far as to say IV is easier to print out and take to a meeting 🙂 I could argue that Autodesk's update material is actually 400 and some pages if you look at the same way for anyone that has seen the Autodesk Transitioning fro 2008 book.

Anyway, I am pleased to see users enjoying both software packages if it meets their needs, just don't troll if you are not using the software anymore. If you are using the software still, great, we are always willing to help an open mind.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 25 of 31
Cschmidt

I feel sorry for the people still using Inventor. It's troubling that people in this discussion group have such a narrow vision and refuse to take a step outside the world of Autodesk. I battled with people like this on a daily basis for several years trying to convince management how broken the Inventor platform is and it was always the same thing (operator error, hardware, latest patches...) Plus you guys have more drama in this discussions than in the SW discussion it's very entertaining.
Message 26 of 31
robmatthews

So you're lonely in SolidW then? And you're here for our good?

riiight. You just like stirring up agro (aussie for agravation.)
=============================================
This is my signature, not part of my post.
Message 27 of 31
JDMather

> It's troubling that people in this discussion group have such a narrow vision and refuse to take a step outside the world of Autodesk.

I think you are not well informed on this. There are some top-notch people on this forum who know a variety of CAD programs. They generally post with their full names.

Heck, I am a CSWP, are you?

I'm not familiar with your name or work. What is the url to the site showing your work?

>Plus you guys have more drama....

If you are looking for entertainment you might start here
comp.cad.solidworks

Paul does some very nice work.
http://www.zxys.com/swparts/
he clearly knows the product.
http://paulsalvador.blogspot.com/2007/06/solidworks-suks.html

I've attended Matt's SWW classes. I would say he knows a bit about the product and always has an entertaining blog
http://dezignstuff.com/blog/?p=305
if you search back a bit you might find an entertaining piece where he thought they blocked him from the company forum. They claimed it was all a technical snafu, but I had the same story about a year earlier (shortly after I passed the CSWP at SWW)- I never was able to get back on even after repeated back and forth emails with Rich Doyle and Greg Jankowski. http://www.mcadforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7442

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 28 of 31
Anonymous

Did you mention mechanical desktop?

are there any users still out there?

wrote in message news:6018981@discussion.autodesk.com...
I feel sorry for the people still using Inventor. It's troubling that
people in this discussion group have such a narrow vision and refuse to take
a step outside the world of Autodesk. I battled with people like this on a
daily basis for several years trying to convince management how broken the
Inventor platform is and it was always the same thing (operator error,
hardware, latest patches...) Plus you guys have more drama in this
discussions than in the SW discussion it's very entertaining.
Message 29 of 31
donovan_cox

not sure, i'd love to find out how many people downloaded or ordered Mechanical Desktop now that it doesn't ship with Inventor.
Message 30 of 31
Anonymous

We downloaded it. We still have many legacy projects (read hundreds) done
in MDT that require changes. In most cases we don't want to spend the time
to convert them to Inventor for something like a text change on sheet 3.
New designs are done in Inventor, but to convert every project is just
unreasonable.

wrote in message news:6020727@discussion.autodesk.com...
not sure, i'd love to find out how many people downloaded or ordered
Mechanical Desktop now that it doesn't ship with Inventor.
Message 31 of 31
Anonymous

We still use MDT for the exact same reason. While the conversion or re-draw
process is better than ever, the time/cost is outside our ability while
progressing new products. Good news is everything new is Inventor, bad news
is I have a really hard time convincing anyone to want to do revision work
on the MDT projects 🙂

Brian

"David Miller" wrote in message
news:6021677@discussion.autodesk.com...
We downloaded it. We still have many legacy projects (read hundreds) done
in MDT that require changes. In most cases we don't want to spend the time
to convert them to Inventor for something like a text change on sheet 3.
New designs are done in Inventor, but to convert every project is just
unreasonable.

wrote in message news:6020727@discussion.autodesk.com...
not sure, i'd love to find out how many people downloaded or ordered
Mechanical Desktop now that it doesn't ship with Inventor.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report