Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor vs Rhino

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
rhasell
14100 Views, 11 Replies

Inventor vs Rhino

Can someone please offer some advice on the following.

I have no clue what Rhino is about, or how good it is, perhaps someone can enlighten me.

We do a tremendous amount of work for one of our clients, who used to be exclusivly AutoCAD, they have now been spoilt with the work I have given them in Inventor. I get the impression a salesman has been to see them, because they now want to go Rhino with a Grasshopper plugin making it parametric. This will apparently put Inventor to shame?

I have been to their web site, but trying get get anything worthwhile is quite tedious, Thats one positive for Autodesk, they want people to understand and use their products.

Thank you.

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
graemev
in reply to: rhasell

I have generally seen Rhino used for non-engineering work: 3D printing files, computer graphics, gaming models, etc.  Inventor's background is in the engineering and technical fields.  They are both useful tools.  You may wish to point out to your clients that a hammer is not a screwdriver.  *shrug*

Message 3 of 12
Ray_Feiler

Have you checked out this one? http://www.grasshopper3d.com/

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 4 of 12

From my experience with both Rhino is more artistic with freeform modeling etc. whereas Inventor is more engineering oriented. That's just my experience though so it depends on what your application is.

Message 5 of 12

Rhino's advantage - cost

Disadvantage - no drawing tools, people produce nice models with it but then have to export to create drawings.

Inventor has poor interoperability with rhino.  Solidworks and Ironcad can maintain an associative link with Rhino files, Inventor cant.

Message 6 of 12
JDMather

if they have a real need for that type of modeler - you might have them look at Fusion 360 (not to be confused with the retired Inventor Fusion).  Price for Fusion 360 is competitive (I think it is $25/month).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
rhasell

Thanks for all the info guys, hopefully we can convince them that Rhino will not be suitable for their needs.

Our industry is Structural and Architectural, focusing on Tensile membrane structures. I guess Rhino will make pretty pictures of the roof, but will not do any FEA or create pattern etc.

We use Inventor to do all the steel construction required to hold these structures up, but use NDN to do all the FEA as well as create the Membrane roof.

With the latetest version of Inventor, we are now starting to do FEA on the welded connections, which NDN does not do automatically, it it still a manual process.

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 8 of 12
schneik-adsk
in reply to: JDMather

JD is right -  $25 a month per user for Fusion 360. You can try it now free for 90 days. Visit www.autodesk.com/tryfusion360

Kevin Schneider
Message 9 of 12
stevec781

@rhasell wrote:

Thanks for all the info guys, hopefully we can convince them that Rhino will not be suitable for their needs.

Our industry is Structural and Architectural, focusing on Tensile membrane structures. I guess Rhino will make pretty pictures of the roof, but will not do any FEA or create pattern etc.

hopefully we can convince them that Rhino will not be suitable for their needs     Why?  Are you trying to get the best result for your employer or Autodesk?  

Scan and Solve is a very good and low cost add in for FEA in Rhino.

Message 10 of 12
iboydproto
in reply to: stevec781

Rhino has no drawing tools? Oh really!
Message 11 of 12
stevec781
in reply to: iboydproto

Let me re-phrase.  Rhino has drawing tools, but everyone I know exports their model to autocad for detailing.  Even the Rhino webite says very little about 2D plans, most of the images are of 3D models.  However Rhino 5 does have some enhancements in this area, but still the users I know prefer to export to another program for detailing.  There must be a good reason for that, or perhaps I just dont know enough Rhino users.

Message 12 of 12
iboydproto
in reply to: stevec781

Where have you been the past 10 years? By Rhino v.4 the drawing tools were
better than AutoCad (have used both extensively). Just because you haven't
see Rhino 2D drawings doesn't mean they're not there.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report