Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor vs ACAD Ref Dims

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Generic
496 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor vs ACAD Ref Dims

I've searched, my drafting standards materials and the internet, but have not been able to find how the heck you're supposed to treat reference diameter dimensions.

If I open up an session of AutoCAD, reference dimensions enclose the diameter symbol in the parenthesis.

Using Inventor, however, the diameter symbol is put outside the parenthesis.

Which is right? It seems silly to make extra work for the user for otherwise identical drawings.

Or am I missing something? (what a shocker that'd be)

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
harco
in reply to: Generic

If you select a circular edge whether side or end view Inventor should add diameter symbol.

If you then set this to reference, the symbol will be inside parenthesis.

If you select end points of side view circular edge there will be no symbol and adding as text edit puts the symbol outside the parenthesis.

I think you may be able to set the styles to place the text inside the parenthesis but without trying this at the moment I may be wrong.

Message 3 of 5
Generic
in reply to: harco

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I was able to repeat the behavior you described exactly. I also see that "linear diameter" does the same (dia symbol in the parenthesis).

I suppose I'm left wishing for a linear diameter dimenion that doesn't omit the second extension line as we have section views with many diameters that can't be pulled from a single line.

Thank you again.

Message 4 of 5
Daniel248
in reply to: Generic

Your wish has been fulfilled.

After creating your Linear Diameter dim., right-click on it > Options > Full Dimension Line.

(This option has been available for some years...) 

Message 5 of 5
Generic
in reply to: Daniel248

Ha! Thank you very much.

That's an odd one in that it I have to pick the centerline for the finished dim to come out correctly.

Now to train the rest of my ignorant brethren...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report