Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inventor viewer is default program to open inventor files

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
MTHulli
1598 Views, 2 Replies

inventor viewer is default program to open inventor files

Hi,

I have recently installed Inventor 2014, and for some reason, the default program for opening Inventor files (.idw, .ipt, ...) is this "Inventor Viewer".

I didn't know it was included in Inventor, and don't find a way to uninstall it in the control panel.

When I change the default program to open these files to "Inventor 2014", the file icons are all wrong.

Anybody an idea how to solve this?

Thanks,

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mcgyvr
in reply to: MTHulli

I would completely uninstall all Autodesk products.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticl...

Then I would ensure I have the proper admin permissions on that user account or log in as a full admin (<--your main problem)

Then reinstall.

Sounds like your permissions are incorrect and you don't have access to modify the registry properly.

Also turn off anti-virus and Windows UAC during installation. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 3
MTHulli
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thanks for your reply,

But I'm already admin, so I don't think that's the problem. (and I really hate reinstalling programs ;))

Maybe it has something to do with Inventor 2012 which is still installed on my system? no idea.

I've checked this on MSDN, and it turns out you have to change the registry for this.

-windows key -> "regedit" (you need admin rights)

-find the relevant keys (ie Inventor.AssemblyDocument, Inventor.DrawingDocument, Inventor.PartDocument)

-change the command path in shell to inventor.exe (see screenshot so you understand)

Capture6.PNG

Off course all standard disclaimers about changing the registry apply..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report