Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Viewer 2015?

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
p_enneking
2612 Views, 18 Replies

Inventor Viewer 2015?

Does anyone know when the Inventor Viewer for 2015 be available?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
JDMather
in reply to: p_enneking

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=22976407

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 19
p_enneking
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks!  When I did a search, 2015 did not show up.  Guess I should have looked a little more before posting.

Thanks again!

Message 4 of 19
p_enneking

Has anyone else had trouble installing this on a 32 bit Windows XP machine?  It won't even begin the installation process, just tell me that "Autodesk_Inventor_View_2015_English_Win_32bit_dlm.sfx.exe is not a valid Win32 application."  I looked at the system requirements and it lists Windows 7 & Windows 8, but nothing about XP.......  thoughts?

Message 5 of 19
-niels-

Windows XP is no longer supported by microsoft, as such it is no longer a supported OS for Autodesk products and has been removed from the system requirements.

We're having the same "problem" at our company where there are still some XP stations, which will be upgraded in the near future.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 6 of 19
MikeKos

Actually, I've been having the same problem with a 65-bit Win 7 PC.

The Design Review product page shows D.R. 2014 as the "latest" version.

But when I open my existing installation of Design Review 2013, and go

to the "Help" pull-down and click "search for updates." I get a pop-up

telling me, "you have have the latest version of Autodesk Design Review.

No update is available at this time."

When our company upgraded to Inventor View 2015, *everyone* else in

the company got new software -- but not me. I don't have an Inventor

license -- I've been using TrueView and Design Review to produce

technical documentation. Those products have been working well, to

exporf data to Adobe applications.

Our IT guy did manage to install "Inventor View 2015" over the week3end,

but this is what he emailed me:

I got inventor view 2015 installed.  However, it won’t start.  There is a widely known conflict with Acrobat and Acrobat Pro.  You will need to completely uninstall those programs.  Then start inventor view and see if it runs.  If it does then you can reinstall Acrobat and Acrobat Pro.  It seems on the first go around with inventor view registering with the computer that it conflicts with Acrobat.  After that initial run, it should work even with Acrobat on there.

To be completely accurate, I don’t have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed, but I do have Acrobat Pro XI and Acrobat DistillerXI,

and I also use Photoshop CC2014and IllustratorCC214 all the time. I haven’t tried to uninstall any Adobe applications because I

use them all the time. That's my primary software..........

AT the same time, I really do need a viewer that will open .DWF files thathave recently been output from Autodesk 2015. Design Review had many useful features. The old version of Inventor View was a nearly useless application that was only useful for taking a look at very old, archive versions of Inventor files.....Even if my IT guy is right, and Inventor View 2015 will start to run if I uninstall and re-install Adobesoftware (???)I still have to hope that
Design Review 2015 isgoing to be available soon. I've wasted a lot of time tyrying to figure out which free viewer needs to be installed first (TRueView2015 does seem to be working) and I also downloadd and installed DWF Writer4.0..... RE-posting most of this into a new postthat will go

in to the "installation & Licensing" community page.

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: MikeKos

FYI: I have Acrobat XI and Inventor View installed here and working with no problem.

Design View 2013 is the latest version.

Message 8 of 19
MikeKos
in reply to: Anonymous

OK, thanks, I was pretty sure that DesignReview 2013 is the latest version, but
what am I supposed to use to open DWF files output from Inventor 2015?

DR 2013won't do it,and "InventorView 2015" (which didn't have the features or usefulness
of Design Review, in the most recent iteration I was able to install and open) won't install.

Is there a beta of Design Review? What's the solution?

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous

Design Review 2013 will open Inventor 2015 files exported to .dwfx format.

FYI: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Design-Review/Is-Design-Review-discontinued/td-p/3887935/page/5

Message 10 of 19
MikeKos

John -- ...I still have my fingers crossed...but here's the good news -- I DO NOT have to give you the smarty-pants reply about .DWFX filesthat I was going to -- to the effetc that -- sure, I'll be glad to close the barn door, now that all the recently created DWF files are roaming loose out there on the prairie.

It must have been the installation on my computer, over the weekend, of Inventor View 2015. DWF files that I couldn't open up last week will now OPEN and best of all -- I can print them to PDF -- using DesignReview 2013.

Inventor View 2015 was installed on my computer over the weekend. When I go to the Start menu and peek in to the"All Programs" list and look at the "Autodesk folder, the following items show up, top to bottom:

Autodesk Design Review 2013

Autodesk Application Manager

Autodesk DWF Writer 4.0

Autodesk Inventor View 2015
(Inside that folder, there's another folder labeled, "Tools" which has something called "Project Editor" inside of it.
Finally, the last application in the folder is

Autodesk TrueView 2015 - English

UPdates were installed in the following sequence:

TruView
Design Review
DWF Writer
Inventor View 2015 (Still won't open, and I have no

idea what the Project Editor applicaiton is.)

I also have the Firefox plug-in for viewing files in  my browser.
(FOr really large files, that seems to be the most stable viewer.)

IF I find a file I can't open with Design Review203, I'll give

the Firefox plug-in a try, or see if someone else can convert the
file to DWfx.

FWIW -- Hope everything's still working tomorrow, but for the rest

of today, I think I'll open some more files and print them to PDF.

Thanks for your help!

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous

Glad to hear you've got most of it working.  When you go to control panel, add/remove programs, is there an option for a repair install on Inventor View?

If there is try doing a repair install, then reboot (even if it doesn't tell you to), and try running again.

You can specify a project in Inventor View, just like you can in Inventor.

Message 12 of 19
MikeKos

Not quite, what I get in Control Panel is the option to Uninstall or "Change." 

I might try that at some point, but for the time being, Design Review is the 

really useful program that let's me export vector files to Illustrator, and

hide (or force transparency) on some items in an assembly that I can rotate

or show with section view.

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous

Click the Uninstall/Change option, when the installer runs it should give you an option to repair.

Message 14 of 19
falkmassmann

This is just a wild guess but could it be that the latest version of Design Review (2015) is just for the sake of naming schemes listed under Design Review 2015?

I can remember that Autodesk wasn´t willing to develop Design Review any further and the latest version will still be Design Review 2013 even if it is named as Design Review 2015.

Just a hunch since I´m sure I heard something like this at the beginning of 2014.

Cheers

Edit: And Inventor View is still on Version 1.0 as far as I know, there haven´t been any updates to the viewer since .... I can´t actually even remember when it was lower then 1.0. Must be Inventor 9 or 8 when it became Version 1.0.

Message 15 of 19
MikeKos
in reply to: falkmassmann

It may not have been intentional-- it probably wasn't-- but whatever the explanation, I still need a viewer forDWF files output from Inventor 2015 -- which I didn't have until Inventor (nnext-to useless) View was updated to "Inventor View 2015."

That still seems to be one place where Brands X and Y (SldWrks and especially P-E) have done a much better job of integrating their software to convert and export accessible data and images for technical documentation.   .......Who knows, by now, maybe even the Fiat Toppolino of viewers (I think "volo" means "Flight," in Italian), Volo View , has been improved and provides a better DWF Viewer option than either Inventor View or Design Review?

If there are any other options or recommendations anyone has - it does look like we're all on our own here, without much support from Autodesk.

Message 16 of 19
dgorsman

Volo view...  badbadBAD memories on that one.  Have to repress a shudder any time I hear the name.

For now, the version of Design Review shouldn't matter for general use - DWF files are DWF files, just as reasonably recent PDF viewers can open PDF files generated from recent applications.  The only problems come from attempting to automagically feed a DWF file to it where one of the developers used a global product-version constant for all application calls.  One of the downsides of silo'd development - if the developer doesn't know to look they won't find it.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 17 of 19
MikeKos
in reply to: dgorsman

Honestly, I think VoloView is no longer available, in any kind of useful form. If it ever was.

There may be another ap on the horizon, though, a "CAD-nostic"   app, not dependent on

any of the curent Big 3.... courtesy of 'those wonderful folks who brought us Sw:

https://www.cimdata.com/en/industry-summary-articles/item/456-belmont-technology-is-now-onshape-inc

Just out of curiosity, does that "global product-version" constant have anything to do with the fact that you now have to have
the most recent iteration of all three of the free utilities (TrueView, DesignReview, Inventor View) in order to open a recent
DWF?

Message 18 of 19
falkmassmann

As I guessed, DR 2013 should do all the things you want:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/design-review/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/A...

All the best

Falk

Message 19 of 19
MikeKos
in reply to: falkmassmann

It's still free but DesignReview is crashing on a large file this morning.
Slowly loads, then collapses to earth like the flaming Hindenburg.

Technical Documentation Dept.
Federal Manufacturing Co.
201 W. Walker St.
Milwaukee, WI 53204
Phone: 414-384-3200, ext. 1249
Cell: 414-544-8686

[cid:image001.jpg@01CFB150.D03B7010]

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report