Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor: UCS - Change/move UCS - Specify Co-ordinates

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
roryromano
1814 Views, 6 Replies

Inventor: UCS - Change/move UCS - Specify Co-ordinates

Hello,

In an assembly file:

I would like to be able to move and/or rotate the UCS to a specific location or point. I would like to be able to specify the co-ordinates of this point as well.

Is this possible in inventor? Does anyone know how to do it?

I have many reasons for the need to do this...

Simple Example: Export to dwg and have the assembly come into AutoCAD in the specified co-ordinates...

Thanks,

Rory

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
admaiora
in reply to: roryromano

Hi Rory,

you can't.Working in Inventor is not like working in Autocad.

And it's not necessary change the  UCS. 

You have only to assemble your components consistently with the axis and origin. When you will export, all will be as you placed in Inventor.

i hope that it can helps you.

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
Cadmanto

Rory,

Take a look at this link and see if it helps you.

Moving the UCS in assembly

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 7
wimann

Yeah I agree with everyone else.

I'd say move your assembly in 3D space with respect to the origin, not the origin with respect to the assembly.

I've had to do this a few times when integrating my 3D models with Navisworks. I'll usually create a new assembly titled "<original name> for Navisworks.iam" then I'll just place my full assembly in that .iam and orient and place it as required to successfully line up with a client supplied model in navisworks.

-Will Mann

Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 5 of 7
roryromano

Thanks for the quick replies.

All good stuff.

It would still be very benificial to me if it was possible to move the UCS. (or change the co-ordinates of the origin,)

Or if I could create a new UCS and have the option of what UCS to "make active".

Navisworks example: create a UCS called navisworks. Have it "active" so that navisworks would "read" the navisworks UCS.

Rory

Message 6 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! Inventor's UCS is a bit different from AutoCAD's UCS. In Part, UCS has two modes: parametric or associative. Parametric basically let you control the coordinates of the origin point and the rotation of each axis. Associative UCS is basically attached to three vertices. The first vertex defermines the origin point. The other two vertices define X and Y axes. BTW, in Assembly, UCS has only one mode: parametric.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 7
roryromano
in reply to: johnsonshiue

So are you saying I can change the co-ordinates of the origin point in an assembly ?

If so, how?

thanks,

Rory

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report