Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor to Fusion chages units from inches to centimeters...

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
michaelmcgovern
2878 Views, 6 Replies

Inventor to Fusion chages units from inches to centimeters...

When I want to edit a solid part in Inventor 2012, I click the "Edit Form" button which automatically launches Fusion.  Units are defaulted to cm every time (I don't understand why it can't autodetect units) and the first thing I do is switch them to inches (english).  I edit my part then return to Inventor.  The part has been resized (smaller by a factor of 2.54) and moved off my original origin.  I cannot figure out how to get around this HUGE problem.  This has made Fusion useless to me and has drastically reduced the functionality of my ablility to solid edit.

If Fusion is intigrated into Inventor, why does it behave as a totally different product (reversed scroll wheel direction, different units, no refrencing between Inventor features and Fusion, etc.)?  It's as if the Fusion programing team and the Inventor programming team met for just long enough to put the Fusion button in Inventor and nothing more.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Jon.Dean
in reply to: michaelmcgovern

I agree it is a shame Fusion does not auto-detect the units you are working with, but the Inventor API thinks in cm units, so this is what Fusion defaults to. I will ask development to look into this issue on your behalf.

You also mentioned the mouse wheel not working the same way as Inventor. I do not see this, for me it works exactly the same on both of my computers; PDS and FDS.

Jon Dean

Message 3 of 7
michaelmcgovern
in reply to: Jon.Dean

In AutoCAD and Inventor, I push my wheel forward to zoom in.  In Fusion, I have to pull the wheel back to zoom in.  This seems backwards to me and cannot be changed on Fusion.

Message 4 of 7
Jon.Dean

OK, so you have changed Inventor to work the same as AutoCAD. There is an open change request with development to give you the option in Fusion.

Jon Dean

Message 5 of 7
azmand01

So this is a 2010 post and I sI still don't see a fix or option to change mouse wheel behavior in Fusion. This is a BIg issue to Autocad Integrated with Fusion (by including a plug-in to Edit in Fusion in Autocad) and when the user opens Fusion the zoom in out is inverted.

...and the issue with units. 

- I made a model in Fusion. Units were set to mm.

- Next I openned in Autocad

In Autocad I verified measurement variable right after opening Model and it is set to 0, therefore it seems to me that regardless what you do in Fusion it will open inAutocad using a Imperial template.

- Next I checked Units were set to Lenght-Decimal, Insertion Scale-Centimeters

So it seems to me that Fusion 2012 (version) opens a Imperial template and sets units to metric using centimeters (have you rushed the software out?).

Now I measured my model which I had dimensioned to 10.2 mm in one side and now it measures 10.2 cm.

So the issue is still there even tough this post dates back to 2010.

I am using Autocad 2012 sp2 x64

..and Fusion 2012 sp3 (1.3.0.31) x64

I will test this behavior with Fusion 2013 and post it.

Message 6 of 7
azmand01
in reply to: azmand01

Sorry fokks just correcting myself.

My Model was 102mm in one side and when opeened in Autocad it was 10,2 (even dimension brought in from Fusion changes the decimal point).

So in order to get it right all needs to be scaled up by 10.

Message 7 of 7
azmand01
in reply to: azmand01

...and it is the same thing in Fusion 2013 with Autocad 2013.

...and still can not find option to change mouse wheel behavior.

If anyone can point me to documentation explaining how these two softwares should be integrated and used interchangeably please send me the link as Fusion Help (wikihelp) and Autocad  help seems to lack this information.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report