Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor text editor

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anthony
517 Views, 9 Replies

Inventor text editor

I was wondering if anyone knew if any improvements have been made to the text editor in the next release of Inventor ? I find that the text editor in Inventor leaves a lot to be desired in terms of the options available and how limited it is in comparison to the equivalent text editor in AutoCAD.

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2013

64-bit HP Z400, Intel Xeon W3550 3.07GHz

12.0GB RAM, ATI FirePro V4800 (FireGL)

Anthony Goodwin ~ Cad Manager/Senior Designer
Autodesk Inventor Professional 2013 SP2 64-Bit Edition
Windows 7 HP Z400, Intel Xeon W3550 3.07GHz
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Cadmanto
in reply to: Anthony

Anthony,

Take a look at this link and see for yourself.  Smiley Happy

What New in 2014

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 10
jletcher

I don't think so I do think you will see it in the 2015 it has been accepted as a change to be done. I just hope it is not like autocad.

Can you post a picture of the issues I would like to get an understanding why everyone hates it.

Me I never really use it because I make symbols that do all my things. I never have to type the same thing twice this way.

Message 4 of 10
Anthony
in reply to: jletcher

Thanks for the comments. I wouldn't want it to be a match of AutoCADs text editor, what I was getting at was that the Inventor text editor has very limited features and does not provide anywhere near as much functionality as the AutoCAD one. More control of text placement and alignment would be a good start, to me it just feels a bit to basic and child like

Message 5 of 10
jletcher

Have you looked into making them symbols? You have all control then.

Message 6 of 10
Anthony

Hi, thanks for the suggestion, I have not used this method but I would be very interested on learning how to do it - do you have any tutorials on how to convert text to symbols ? Thanks

Message 7 of 10
jletcher

There is no convert to be done.

Look here it should help you.

http://download.autodesk.com/us/inventorprofessional/pdf/SketchedSymbols_stacking.pdf

this is a symbol list for one client of mine.

Symbol1.JPG

This is a symbol I made for him

Symbol2.JPG

This is the way to go never have to type over and over, paint notes, weld note you name it I have it.

there is so much you can do with them..

Message 8 of 10
Anthony

This is most helpful thank you, I will look into using this for the future. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 10
Forsh

Using 2018 and text editor still makes me want to throw my PC through the window!

TAB surely isn't too much to ask?!?

Smiley Mad

Message 10 of 10
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Forsh

Hi! I know what you are talking about. Please do not throw your PC. The computer is very valuable (more expensive than Inventor). Please do not bang your head to the screen either.

Indeed, the Text Editor in Inventor cannot compete with Word or other document editing tools unfortunately, because it is not mainly for text editing. I have heard some of our users relies on Word to have proper text format and the copy and paste the text to Inventor Text Editor.

There is a lot of room for improvement in Inventor. But, I personally do not believe Text Editor ranks high among those requirements.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report