Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inventor surface tools

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
charlie.blackmore
1194 Views, 5 Replies

inventor surface tools

ok so heres the problem, basically the file in question is far too complicated/sensitive to be posting on here so i've put a quick example together for everyone's benefit!

Basically what your seeing is a three point loft with an emboss on top of it 1mm deep (doesn't matter) anyway what I want to do is export the surface that is embossed to a drawing so that I can print off the shape when flattened. I know I may be asking too much of inventor but imagine this is a grip for a tool and that im going to overlay the printed shape over rubber cut it out then glue it to my prototype to get a nice ergonomic/aesthetic yet grippy feel.

I know I may be asking too much of inventor, if so just say so!

SURFACE TEST.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Inventor will not flatten that inlay.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 6

Charlie,

What I am about to say, might be a stretch for you, but I did something very similar (all be it a different software) where I had a grip over the main piece.

What I did was to create a block mold with the software and print it out on a 3D printer.  Then purchased this elastic pourable material from McMaster-Carr and when I poured it into the mold I was able to get my grip.  A very workable piece in my hands.  Is this a possible option for you?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

I suspect that merely gluing a flat piece of rubber will not work very well - you probably will need a molded piece, something like this -

Molded Rubber.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
sam_m
in reply to: charlie.blackmore

I do something similar with labels, but, knowing the limitations up-front I try to design accordingly.

basically, I know I want a recessed area for a label on my moulding - so, that's kinda similar to this.  But... I know that a label is a constant thickness and only able to bend in 1 direction without creasing/distorting/tearing (think about wrapping a sticker around a cylinder or a cone), so I make sure any recess is only curved on 1 axis.  This means than a simple emboss or offset of the outer surface will usually not work, as it will be curved in 2 axis (like an egg/ball) - so I have to create a separate pocket with the lower face being carefully shapped to prevent bend-directions overlapping.

Now... If you're wanting to cut out some rubber sheet to wrap and stick it to a product then it's somewhat similar - ideally it wants to only bend in 1 axis otherwise it will pucker/crease.  But, your saving grace or problem, depending how you look at it - rubber has a degree of stretch, so you will be able to get away with a small bend on a 2nd axis without too much of a problem (possibly).

Inventor can unfold a shape which only has 1 axis bends (they don't have to have the same axis, just not overlapping) as long as the part is all a constant thickness.  So, I usually get away with creating a copy of the base surface and then thickening it, convert to sheet metal and then flatten (with the material thickness set to the value used in the thicken op).

But, if you're after anything with a change in thickness or a 2-axis curve, it's too much for Inventor as it invovles material stretching, compressing & distorting.

Sorry for the wall of text, I hope it makes sense.  Sam

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 6 of 6
charlie.blackmore
in reply to: sam_m

Thanks for the help guys! In the end I exported the file as a Step, mailed it to a Nav Arch, who flattened it using rhinoceros and then re-exported it back into step format. Now i'm about to import into inventor as an ipt drop into an idw as scale 1:1 drawing. Then print it cut it, over lay it on some neoprene (weird material choice i know!) cut it and stick it on.

To be honest this has been a rushed job for higher ups in the future I would have loved to have tried the moulding with 3D printed moulds as we do have that capability on site.

I think the problem I ran into today is probably a hint that I should move into NURBS based modelling! happens once a month or so.

Thanks for your input guys I really appreciate it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report