Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor sucks

101 REPLIES 101
SOLVED
Message 1 of 102
ROCKFAN0604
3607 Views, 101 Replies

Inventor sucks

Now that i have your attention i am having some very serious problems!!!!!!!!

I am having this strange problem, I am working on an assembly that has about 1,200 parts in it, under representation I create a few views to show details of the assembly then I create drawings. I save the work check in everything and close it, I come back and open the assembly and it is like everything that all the views that I created are gone and it is back to the default view like I have never done anything.

Another problem I am having a small assembly about 200 parts and I had created the assembly and checked it in and the hade to make changes so I opened it and checked it out and opened each part and changed what I had to change then saved and checked in and closed. Well when I went to open it again all the changes that I have made was all gone like I have never done anything. If anyone knows what is going on it would be appreciated because this has happened more than once and it is very frustrating. Thanks,

And the last problem is How come that when I consolidate line items in the bom within inventor, items become unconsolidated when reopened. Thanks,
101 REPLIES 101
Message 81 of 102
wimann
in reply to: JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

...this is the 21st century - get yourself a 3D Connexion Space Navigator.

You know, I have one of those, and I never use it. I've heard it's praises many times but I just find it more practical to keep my left hand on the keyboard.

-Will Mann

Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 82 of 102
_DanSolo_
in reply to: ampster401

"...don't assume Autodesk is reading this.

I can repeat what I've said many times but I'll shorten it - the forums are for end users to communicate with each other and not for an end user to communicate directly with Autodesk."

I think that is part of the whole problem. Communication with the customer is important.

Message 83 of 102
_DanSolo_
in reply to: wimann

JDMather wrote:

...this is the 21st century - get yourself a 3D Connexion Space Navigator.

I got one, when I first got Inventor and discoverd that unlike other CAD platforms, Inventor decided to go with a Pan/Zoom mouse functionality. Rather than Rotate/Zoom.

They don't even alow you to customize the mouse buttons to change this.

Message 84 of 102
_DanSolo_
in reply to: wimann

What makes you so sure it is only a lack of knowledge. do you use other software too?
Message 85 of 102
JDMather
in reply to: _DanSolo_

@_DanSolo_ wrote:

They don't even alow you to customize the mouse buttons to change this.

My last shot - and then you are on your own if you continue on this non-productive path.

Start a new thread and we can discuss this issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 86 of 102
ampster401

@_DanSolo_ wrote:

"...don't assume Autodesk is reading this.

I can repeat what I've said many times but I'll shorten it - the forums are for end users to communicate with each other and not for an end user to communicate directly with Autodesk."

I think that is part of the whole problem. Communication with the customer is important.

Just like Harley Davidson doesn't get enough of my cash for the bike I buy from them, they have all these bells and whistles you can buy afterwards to make it your own...Autodesk has this thing called Subscription.  If you are on that, you have a direct line to their support.  But it costs $

Autodesk already provides a forum called "The Break Room" where members can go and discuss anything they want, just not the techincal aspects of Adesk software.  That happens too once in ahile in there.

But for the sake of this forum which is for users to work out the issues, it would be nice if there was a "blog" type forum where users could go vent about what ever is bothering them in regards to Adesk software.  That would move some of these non-constructive type posts over there and just sort of keep thing separate from each other.  I am by no means trying to state alot of the posts made to this thread do not have valueable information in them, they do. 

Some people say "ignore" such posts and move on.  While that might work in most cases, there may be a time when you can't or shouldn't ignore.

Message 87 of 102
pball

Just passing through and thought I'd drop a direct link to where I've reported more than a few bugs and issues and gotten responses and fixes.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

If you reach out with a legit issue Autodesk will generally work on it. My latest experience was crashes due to a corrupt VBA project file and they released a hotfix to correct that issue. I know other people have had similar issues but I believe I was guy that got the squeaky wheel fixed. So it goes to show bitching, moaning, or just plain reporting things in the forums won't usually get things fixed. I created a post about that issue and replied to one or two other posts with similar issues. Haven't used the subscription to try and get help yet but I'd think that'd be even better than the generic report form.
Message 88 of 102
_DanSolo_
in reply to: pball

Thanks!

Message 89 of 102
_DanSolo_
in reply to: JDMather

How is this non-productive.

We are talking are we not about general observations of the software. While there has been specific issues raised.

This is really about the disconnect between performance Autodesk, and its customers...specifically customers coming from other platforms.

If you do not want to discuss then simply don't. But stop trying to shut down a perfectly legitimate conversation. that is after all the point of having a forum.

Message 90 of 102
_DanSolo_

interesting so you can pay for communication with Autodesk?

I am on a subscription service through one of the authorised resellers, They are pretty good for product support, but in no way are they interested in facilitating feedback to Autodesk.

I will have to look into this further.

Message 91 of 102

The point of this forum is for peer to peer support and our Expert Elites are the some of the best out there in helping people out. They do not work for Autodesk but voluntarily help out in the community. Please keep this in mind.

Some points to consider here as noted above this is a peer to peer help forum not a letter to Autodesk type board and this poorly titled thread (wish we could have changed them as easy back then) was originally posted in 2008 by a user with an issue looking for help and has been abused several times since due to the title lead in.

Recommendations

1. If someone is looking for help with something please start a new post.

2. As  @pball stated above http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794 is one place to voice product issues and wants.

3. As you really want input to the  future and direction of the product use the Idea station to post new features or adjustments to current one it again it is not a gripe board but is maintained by the product teams

4. As @ampster401  stated if you wish to discuss software in general and how companies work or anything else non product related we have

The Break Room for those conversations.

5. This thread is already in violation of the community posting rules. See number 6

I hope this helps

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Message 92 of 102

@Discussion_Admin wrote:
... This thread is already in violation of the community posting rules. See number 6

I was just about to make the same point about the forum rules. Smiley Sad

This is one of the friendliest forums I know of, with most everyone coming here to offer or receive help. I think the forum moderators are very tolerant about the rules, and I can think of very few companies who would allow negative comments of this type on their own forum.

So I would encourage those who have complaints to create new threads with descriptive titles and post Inventor version (including service packs), hardware specifics, lots of details, screen shots, and anything else that can be used to help you get some answers or a better understanding of the problems you're encountering.

There are many people on this forum who currently use or have used other competitive software packages as well, so we understand the frustrations, but many people will simple skip over posts that are not constructive and/or lack enough details to justify the time spent trying to help.

Keep in mind that sometimes it realy is just about changing our approach. For instance, I would never try to create parts in Inventor, the way I would in AutoCAD:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/03/inventor-101-simple-fully-constrained.html

Best of luck to you in all of your CAD related pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 93 of 102

got it! don't publicly criticize the product or suggest improvements. Smiley Wink

thanks,

Message 94 of 102

@_DanSolo_ wrote:

got it! don't publicly criticize the product or suggest improvements. Smiley Wink

thanks,

Hi _DanSolo_,

As the discussion admin mentioned, you can share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team via the IdeaStation. But do take the time to provide more than, "Make ______ work like it does in  ___________ (Solidworks, SolidEdege, Pro-E, etc. )." Those types of "ideas" don't get much traction because the Inventor developers are software engineers, and like all software engineers, they see the world differently than the rest of us. :smileywink:

So it's best to provide very specific information when presenting ideas, and particularly when making comparisons to competitive products. As an example, there is a Inventor Expert Elite member on this forum that was a Solidworks power user before his career path brought him to a company using Inventor. I've often seen him provide Inventor screen shots along with links to the Solidworks online help files in order to better communicate what he's trying to do, or how some suggestion of his would work. His ideas are always presented professionally and as a result are looked at seriously. And due to his professional approach, no one cares that he is comparing Autodesk Inventor to Solidworks, or that he is stating that Autodesk Inventor doesn't provide as good of a solution as Solidworks for that particular tool, feature, or workflow.

Here's the link to the Inventor IdeaStation in case it helps:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/idb-p/v1232

And as I mentioned in my previous reply, Autodesk seems to be much more tolerant of public (Internet) criticism than most companies seem to be (I've posted to, lurked, and searched many a CAD software forum over the years). But I would encourage you to frame your criticisms as constructive and detailed feedback about specific issues. And then I'm certain your professional opinion, and input about Inventor will be welcomed, and likely even valued.

As I'm sure you know, in this world (and the internet specifically) if you come looking for a fight, there's always someone who will give you one. Conversely, I've found that on this forum, if you come looking for help, there's almost always someone to offer you help. Sometimes it's just a matter of setting your frustrations aside, and leading with professionalism, and addressing others (even faceless, unknown, internet others) with the respect you yourself expect to be addressed.

Best of luck to you in everything you do,
Curtis

Message 95 of 102
ampster401

@_DanSolo_ wrote:

thanks,

There are ways to go about it, we are just trying to point out doing so in a post/thread such as this one doesn't help anybody.  Smiley Wink

Message 96 of 102

I tried the "Expert Elites" When I started this tread in 2008. They acted just as their title indicates "Elites" they were rude and condescending and other than showing just how "Absolutely Great" they were, they weren't much help. I eventually found work a rounds for the small, insignificant and user based problems that had absolutely nothing to do with the Autodesk software.

I wish you would kill this thread it has no redeeming value. Moving to junk mail!
Message 97 of 102

@jgmcguffey wrote:
I tried the "Expert Elites" When I started this tread in 2008. They acted just as their title indicates "Elites" they were rude and condescending and other than showing just how "Absolutely Great" they were, they weren't much help. I eventually found work a rounds for the small, insignificant and user based problems that had absolutely nothing to do with the Autodesk software.

I wish you would kill this thread it has no redeeming value. Moving to junk mail!

I am showing your first reply to this thread in 2012 but not as the original poster not considered as starting a thread. I reread that part of this thread and only see people trying to help out. Sorry if you felt other wise.

But this is all part of what I was stating above had you started a new thread yourself back then with a new title (your issue) you may have received more answers/help from others users and had you not received satisfactory help from the group being as you are a subscription customer you would have had the opportunity to escalate your thread to support for additional assistance.

Hope this helps
Discussion_Admin

Message 98 of 102
akap47
in reply to: Discussion_Admin

I think we need treads as yours.
I most serving as exchange views between users.
Sometime you can get a practical solution - out user manual box.
In my case efficiency is sufficient.
My shop does not care about nice 3D Mickey Mouse rendering and other fancy stuff.
They need professional 2D parametrical dwgs with parts list.
I have a thousands MDT files with model-scene-dwg in one file.
All parametrical and constrained weldments. subassemled and assembled into big assemblies.
All have own parameters to generate BOM's.
I can in few minutes open, revise upgrade and print requested dwg.
Now I have to deal with 3 IV different files which slows me down.
Plus some more work abounds.
Keep up good work.

Regards.
Alex Kaplan.
Engineering Department.
PECOCARWASH SYSTEMS.
www.pecocarwash.com
Tel. 248 299 5800
[cid:image003.jpg@01CFC360.B298D170]
Message 99 of 102
dceworks

+1 from a Creo (proEngineer) user who is also an Autodesk Product Design Suite customer. I find the biggest weakness of Inventor is its very poor methods of handling Top-Down style modelling. I will most likely be going back to PTC after this subscription expires. I have become an extremely inefficient designer using poor designing techniques to get by as there isnt enough time to find work around after work around to make Inventor do things properly. Also, the sketcher in inventor is terrible.
Message 100 of 102
ampster401
in reply to: dceworks

reply to discussion admin - I just choose the latest reply. Can this thread be locked?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report