Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor slow, RAM issue

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
rmerlob
687 Views, 6 Replies

Inventor slow, RAM issue

Attached is a picture of a single inventor instance, for a relatively simple part, every time I edit one of the sketches containing the legend for the manhole cover, RAM usage goes up, updating is painfully slow and there doesnt seem to be any errors in any of the features.

RAM in the screenshot is 2.4 GB but it can easily fill up all 6 GB if i keep updating the part.

Any ideas?, working on this part is impossible.

thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ampster401
in reply to: rmerlob

you might see it as simple but Inventor won't.  Try starting with a fresh new part with one or two features, is Inventor still slow?

Going by your screenshot, that part is heavy with features.

Message 3 of 7
rmerlob
in reply to: ampster401

It might have a bit of features, but I dont think RAM usage should be escalating constantly if I'm not adding anything, I'm merely modifiying an existing sketch.

Im thinking something more along a known bug with a certain font or feature or something like that.

Also, there are times when I update that i get an error message, but when i accept it, no feature shows an error, all geometry features are fully constrained except for the letters, I was playing around with their position.

Also if I remember correctly, this part wasnt slow when i created it. I would just attach it but Im afraid i might get in trouble at work.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

all that embossed text will be the cruncher...there will litteraly be hundreds of thousands of teselations around your lettering.

your thoughts about a problem font are probably right on.

Message 5 of 7
rmerlob
in reply to: Anonymous

Actually its all extruded text, would that make no difference, be better or be worse?

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

features extruded or embossed from 'fonts' can be made up of litterally thousands of tiny lines

some fonts have truckloads, some are reasonably 'clean'

its a lot of extra work, but for performance your better off 'sketching' out the letters with lines and curves or use a font that is 'cleaner'

Message 7 of 7
rmerlob
in reply to: Anonymous

thanks, 2 things though.

- Does it make sense that ram usage gets higher and higher everytime i update the part without adding anything (ie. i just move the lettering 1 mm to the side), as i mentioned, if i keep doing this, ram will get filled up.

- Could the Autodesk team provide a list of ''clean fonts''?

Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report